Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Lanciani Dan Lanciani is offline

Default Strance A/C problem

In article , (Jud McCranie) writes:
| On Tue, 26 May 2009 21:55:55 -0400, Jud McCranie
| wrote:
|
| I'm having a strange problem with the A/C (a heat pump). ...
|
| A few more days have gone by, and it seemed to be working until a few
| minutes ago I noticed a strange smell coming down the stairwell (which
| has been an indicator before). The compressor fan was turning but the
| thermostat was set to 79 and it was 81, and had been running a while.
| I suspect that the heat strips are on, which makes the smell.
|
| I don't really need the heat strips upstairs anyway. Is this
| something the layman can disconnect?

Probably, but I'd still be concerned about what is turning them on.
If it is a damaged defrost control as I previously suggested it might
return to its behavior of shutting off the outside fan. Maybe it had
done that and you didn't notice the smell until after the cycle was
complete and the fan turned back on.

Dan Lanciani
ddl@danlan.*com