Posted to alt.home.repair
RickH RickH is offline

Default Phone jack woes? Any experts?

On May 28, 7:46*pm, wrote:
I've tried researching this and I am now completely confused by all
the web page advice and really don't want to read about RJ's cat5,
etc. any more :0

1970-era home. Replacing old "painted pink" in wall modular telephone
jack.

New jack has screws for red, green, black and yellow screws. Old
wiring is two reds, two greens, one black, one light blue, one white
connected to six different screws. *Can I connect these to the new
jack?

If so, what wires would stack together.

Phone is a cordless if that makes any diff...

Tip and Ring refer to the old 1/4 inch phone plugs (commonly used
today as an electric guitar plug or a full-sized headphones plug,
etc). The Tip is the tip of the plug and the Ring is the ring just
under the tip or Ring can also be the Shank (if not using a stereo
phone plug). Dont trust the colors in your wall, get a RJ11 phone
jack tester to check the polarity (they only cost about 2 bucks). As
for the RJ45 jack I usually use the blue/bluewhite pair for the first
phone line, this makes the inner-most pair of the 8 contacts hot.
Then the next pair out in each direction becomes the second line, up
to 4 lines, etc. You do only need one pair per phone line.

Here are the RJ45 contacts:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

4 and 5 above are blue and line 1 pair
3 and 6 would be line 2 pair