Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Phone jack woes? Any experts?

I've tried researching this and I am now completely confused by all
the web page advice and really don't want to read about RJ's cat5,
etc. any more :0

1970-era home. Replacing old "painted pink" in wall modular telephone
jack.

New jack has screws for red, green, black and yellow screws. Old
wiring is two reds, two greens, one black, one light blue, one white
connected to six different screws. Can I connect these to the new
jack?

If so, what wires would stack together.

Phone is a cordless if that makes any diff...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Andy comments:

Only two of the wires are needed for a phone connection.

On the outside of your house, you will see a customer service box.
This can be opened by the customer to check out the telephone
themselves before calling the phone man...

It may be that you can determine which two wires in the cable
are used by examining this box.

Also,
If you have a voltmeter, you can also determine which wires are
used by measuring the voltage between pairs.....
When the phone is on-hook ( not in use) , there will be approx
45 volts DC between the two wires which are used. An unplugged
phone is considered on-hook.

( When off-hook, and in use, this
voltage drops to around 5 volts DC or so).

Typically there are four wires in a phone jack. Either the two
inner
wires or the two outer wires will be used. Usually it is the two
inner
wires, but not always....

Another easy way is to put a couple clip leads on a normal phone
cord, and just try the cable , two wires at a time, until you hear a
dial tone.

This stuff isn't rocket surgery, but you might have to mess with
it
for a few minutes.....

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks to everyone here for their help and quick response.

I read BobMCT's reply early-on and thanks to my wife's constant neg
about it -- LOL -- he gave me some courage to take the plunge and
disconnect the wires from the exisisting plug.

So, turns out once I got those off, that there were only red and green
wires coming out of the wall -- two of each. The other wires were aqll
part of the "PLATE."

So, I just hooked up two green to the green terminal, two red to the
red terminal and all is good. But I swear, looking at it hanging out
of the wall, it appeared that all those other wires were part of the
bundle coming out of the wall.

Anyway, thanks again to all, phone works and wife is quiet....LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm not an expert. But, I did read a small book on the
subject, years ago. Red and green are the ones needed to
make the phone work. Black and yellow are for the lighted
dials, on Princess phones. In the case of newer phones, they
are for a second phone line.

I'd connect red to R (both of them) and both greens to G.
Fold back the others, and tape em off. See if that works.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
I've tried researching this and I am now completely confused
by all
the web page advice and really don't want to read about RJ's
cat5,
etc. any more :0

1970-era home. Replacing old "painted pink" in wall modular
telephone
jack.

New jack has screws for red, green, black and yellow screws.
Old
wiring is two reds, two greens, one black, one light blue,
one white
connected to six different screws. Can I connect these to
the new
jack?

If so, what wires would stack together.

Phone is a cordless if that makes any diff...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Another job turned out well. That is good news. Thank you
for letting us know what you found. I'm sure you have helped
others to do their phone wiring.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

bobmct wrote:
On Thu, 28 May 2009 17:46:19 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I've tried researching this and I am now completely confused by all
the web page advice and really don't want to read about RJ's cat5,
etc. any more :0

1970-era home. Replacing old "painted pink" in wall modular telephone
jack.

New jack has screws for red, green, black and yellow screws. Old
wiring is two reds, two greens, one black, one light blue, one white
connected to six different screws. Can I connect these to the new
jack?

If so, what wires would stack together.

Phone is a cordless if that makes any diff...

"official" phone installers will holler, but...

you only require TWO of the wires to connect to the jack. They are
referred to as "tip" and "ring". The problem is that you cannot be
sure that the colored wires are connect properly (i.e.: colors) at the
demarc (where the other end of the wire is connected).

You only need to connect the inner two pins on the new jack. With a
phone plugged in and off-hook so you can hear a dial tone, try various
combinations of the old wires until you hear a dial tone. Those are
the only ones that need to be connected to the inner two pins.

I've done this several times always with success. Good luck.

Phone equipment used to be sensitive to the polarity
of the circuit. I'll bet you don't know what "tip"
and "ring" means or how the terms came about. I also
like to mess with folks and tell them to press the
"octothourpe" button on the phone. There is a very
good explanation of home phone wiring on this website:

http://www.ling.upenn.edu/~kurisuto/phone_wiring.html

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 28, 7:46*pm, wrote:
I've tried researching this and I am now completely confused by all
the web page advice and really don't want to read about RJ's cat5,
etc. any more :0

1970-era home. Replacing old "painted pink" in wall modular telephone
jack.

New jack has screws for red, green, black and yellow screws. Old
wiring is two reds, two greens, one black, one light blue, one white
connected to six different screws. *Can I connect these to the new
jack?

If so, what wires would stack together.

Phone is a cordless if that makes any diff...

Tip and Ring refer to the old 1/4 inch phone plugs (commonly used
today as an electric guitar plug or a full-sized headphones plug,
etc). The Tip is the tip of the plug and the Ring is the ring just
under the tip or Ring can also be the Shank (if not using a stereo
phone plug). Dont trust the colors in your wall, get a RJ11 phone
jack tester to check the polarity (they only cost about 2 bucks). As
for the RJ45 jack I usually use the blue/bluewhite pair for the first
phone line, this makes the inner-most pair of the 8 contacts hot.
Then the next pair out in each direction becomes the second line, up
to 4 lines, etc. You do only need one pair per phone line.

Here are the RJ45 contacts:

|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

4 and 5 above are blue and line 1 pair
3 and 6 would be line 2 pair
2 and 7 would be line 3 pair
1 and 8 would be line 4 pair

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 29, 11:31*am, RickH wrote:
On May 28, 7:46*pm, wrote:

[...]

I would add that most multi-line phones expect the jack to be wired up
like this, from the "inside out" in pairs. Single line phones also
expect the inside-most pair (pins 4 and 5 above) to be the line, pins
1,2,3,6,7,8 are ignored.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

Phone equipment used to be sensitive to the polarity
of the circuit.

Dial phones are able to be used with reversed polarity but touch tone will
not be able to dial if you reverse the polarity.

Tip was for the old PBX switchboard where the center contact on the jack was
the tip, and the outer contact was the ring. I think the tip was the
negative pole of the circuit.

Octothorpe is the # symbol but the use of the term is not an official
designation for the symbol. The phone companies tend to call the * symbol
the star key, but there the standard name for the symbol is asterisk.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.
I'll bet you don't know what "tip"
and "ring" means or how the terms came about. I also
like to mess with folks and tell them to press the
"octothourpe" button on the phone. There is a very
good explanation of home phone wiring on this website:

http://www.ling.upenn.edu/~kurisuto/phone_wiring.html

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Especially since "octothourpe" isn't an English or American
word.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/octothorpe

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in
message ...

Phone equipment used to be sensitive to the polarity
of the circuit. I'll bet you don't know what "tip"
and "ring" means or how the terms came about. I also
like to mess with folks and tell them to press the
"octothourpe" button on the phone. There is a very
good explanation of home phone wiring on this website:

http://www.ling.upenn.edu/~kurisuto/phone_wiring.html

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tip and ring were explained, in the small book I read. It
was many years ago I read that book, but I do remember much
of what was written. I even devloped a memory jogger to tell
which would be red, or green.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in
message ...

of the circuit. I'll bet you don't know what "tip"
and "ring" means or how the terms came about.

http://www.ling.upenn.edu/~kurisuto/phone_wiring.html

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Roger Shoaf wrote:
"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
Phone equipment used to be sensitive to the polarity
of the circuit.

Dial phones are able to be used with reversed polarity but touch tone will
not be able to dial if you reverse the polarity.

True on most older TT phones, but not true on later 2500s or phones with
similar guts. No idea what they changed. Never seen it make a
difference on modern disposable corded phones.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Roger Shoaf wrote:
"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
Phone equipment used to be sensitive to the polarity
of the circuit.

Dial phones are able to be used with reversed polarity but touch tone will
not be able to dial if you reverse the polarity.

Tip was for the old PBX switchboard where the center contact on the jack was
the tip, and the outer contact was the ring. I think the tip was the
negative pole of the circuit.

Octothorpe is the # symbol but the use of the term is not an official
designation for the symbol. The phone companies tend to call the * symbol
the star key, but there the standard name for the symbol is asterisk.

The star key, brought to you by those who changed "through"
to "thru". *snicker*

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 29 May 2009 14:47:11 -0700, "Roger Shoaf"
wrote:

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

Phone equipment used to be sensitive to the polarity
of the circuit.

Dial phones are able to be used with reversed polarity but touch tone will
not be able to dial if you reverse the polarity.

Tip was for the old PBX switchboard where the center contact on the jack was
the tip, and the outer contact was the ring. I think the tip was the
negative pole of the circuit.

Octothorpe is the # symbol

I like "nanogram" better.

but the use of the term is not an official
designation for the symbol. The phone companies tend to call the * symbol
the star key, but there the standard name for the symbol is asterisk.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent
force for atheism ever conceived." -- Isaac Asimov

Adding a phone jack ..Jack.. [email protected] Home Repair 10 June 22nd 08 08:14 PM
Magic Jack USB phone Terry Home Repair 19 February 14th 08 08:26 PM
Phone jack Has to be near AC Receptacle? John Ross Home Repair 34 August 24th 07 11:08 PM
Wireless phone jack Frank Home Repair 10 March 22nd 06 08:56 PM
phone jack help needed qdot Electronics Repair 5 October 4th 05 11:12 PM