Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Phone jack woes? Any experts?

bobmct wrote:
On Thu, 28 May 2009 17:46:19 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I've tried researching this and I am now completely confused by all
the web page advice and really don't want to read about RJ's cat5,
etc. any more :0

1970-era home. Replacing old "painted pink" in wall modular telephone
jack.

New jack has screws for red, green, black and yellow screws. Old
wiring is two reds, two greens, one black, one light blue, one white
connected to six different screws. Can I connect these to the new
jack?

If so, what wires would stack together.

Phone is a cordless if that makes any diff...

"official" phone installers will holler, but...

you only require TWO of the wires to connect to the jack. They are
referred to as "tip" and "ring". The problem is that you cannot be
sure that the colored wires are connect properly (i.e.: colors) at the
demarc (where the other end of the wire is connected).

You only need to connect the inner two pins on the new jack. With a
phone plugged in and off-hook so you can hear a dial tone, try various
combinations of the old wires until you hear a dial tone. Those are
the only ones that need to be connected to the inner two pins.

I've done this several times always with success. Good luck.

Phone equipment used to be sensitive to the polarity
of the circuit. I'll bet you don't know what "tip"
and "ring" means or how the terms came about. I also
like to mess with folks and tell them to press the
"octothourpe" button on the phone. There is a very
good explanation of home phone wiring on this website:

http://www.ling.upenn.edu/~kurisuto/phone_wiring.html

TDD