Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Home Depot return policy

On 5/28/2009 3:53 PM Stormin Mormon spake thus:

I'm guessing someone on this list knows. I returned a water
heater, today. Purchased Jan 26, 2004. Six year warranty.

The returns desk refunded me my original $198 or whatever it
was (including the tax). Gave me a store credit "gift" card.
And sent me to go buy another water heater. Which was $388.
So, it cost me about $190 to replace a WH that was in
warranty.

I thought they would say "sorry, sir" and send me home with
a new WH, at no charge. They blamed GE / Hotpoint for that
policy.

Does anyone know?

No, but I could be like that other guy here--you know, the one who tells
everyone to just Google it--and tell you to look on their web site,
which has some information about returns:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...atalogId=10053

But I wouldn't do that.

Interesting that they don't say anything about returns made more than 90
days after purchase, even though you obviously did just that.

Here's the info from that page:

Our Store Return Policy Basics

Returns within 90 days of purchase and with a valid sales receipt will
be exchanged, refunded in cash, credited to your account or refunded via
The Home Depot store credit.

Return and Product Exceptions

- Purchases made with store credit, gift certificates and gift cards
will be refunded as store credit. Store credits cannot be used to
purchase gift cards.
- Gasoline-powered equipment may be returned within 30 days of purchase
with a valid sales receipt. After 30 days, item may be sent out for
repair at the customer’s expense, unless covered under warranty.

Sorry, Returns Not Available on the Following Products:

-Custom made products and custom tinted paint
-Gift cards, gift certificates and store credits
-Utility trailers

-Special Order returns are subject to 15% restocking fee. Cancellations
may be subject to 15% restocking fee**

-Cash and cash equivalent purchases, exceeding $1,000, may be refunded
as mail check. Checks are mailed from The Home Depot’s Store Support
Center in Atlanta, GA

-Receipts for purchases made with credit, debit or check within the last
90 days may be located in our system. Ask about receipt look up

-The Home Depot reserves the right to limit or refuse to accept the
return of merchandise at any time and for any reason

-Purchases made at homedepot.com or other The Home Depot Companies may
not be returned at a The Home Depot store, unless the item is stocked or
sold in the returning store.

-Items purchased at The Home Depot US, The Home Depot Canada or The Home
Depot Mexico may not be returned across borders

-Returns of merchandise after 90 days in Massachusetts and Connecticut,
and after 120 days in Rhode Island from the date of original purchase
with a receipt: Sales tax will NOT be refunded. Customers will be issued
credit for the purchase price of the item(s) only. NOTE: Even exchanges
of merchandise are not affected by this rule.

-Customer Agreement purchases must be returned to the same store
location where originally purchased

**See Special Services Desk at your local store for details.