Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default double paned windows

On Wed, 27 May 2009 14:24:07 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour
wrote:

On May 27, 4:17*pm, "Seamus J. Wilson" wrote:
I was considering putting film on inside pane. *Spouse called Millard the
maker and they said bad idea with no explanation. *Why bad idea?

They're probably thinking that the solar film will cause problems due
to heat build up and it will crack the pane. This is potentially a
problem when darker film is applied, though I don't know anyone that
has ever had a problem with it. I do know any number of people whose
windows were long out of warranty and did it with no problem.

http://www.iwfa.com/iwfa/Consumer_Info/qa.html#Breakage

and this from Wikipedia on Window Film:

"Selection of window film

Not all films are suitable for all glass. You must consider the
absorptance of the glass and the film, the size of the pane, the
thickness of the glass, the construction of the window – is it single
pane, insulated glass, treated (with a low-emissivity coating),
laminated or toughened.

Advice on the appropriate selection of film for the glass is vital to
ensure that the glass does not crack as a result of thermal stress.
However, it is possible that a pane of glass may break subsequent to
the application of an appropriate film, because the pane has been
damaged during the glazing of the window, or as a result of movement
of the building or other physical stresses that are not apparent at
the time of the application of the film.

Glass may crack subsequent to the application of signwriting or if
heavy, thermally efficient drapes are hung close to the glass,
particularly if the edges of the glass are damaged.

The chances of glass breakage occurring subsequent to the application
of film or signwriting or the hanging of drapes, are very small.
However breakage can occur and it is impossible to predict the edge
condition of the glass without removing it from the frame – an
approach that is not practical."

Two page *.pdf: (excellent)

_Thermal Stress: Film-to-Glass Compatibility_

http://www.ewfa.org/new/Thermal%20stress.pdf

(sorry my unit hiccupped three messages out)