Posted to alt.home.repair

Default double paned windows

I was considering putting film on inside pane. Spouse called Millard the
maker and they said bad idea with no explanation. Why bad idea?
Thanks,
Seamus J. Wilson

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 27 May 2009 13:17:54 -0700, "Seamus J. Wilson"
wrote:

I was considering putting film on inside pane. Spouse called Millard the
maker and they said bad idea with no explanation. Why bad idea?
Thanks,
Seamus J. Wilson

It may void your warranty. Read the fine print...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Seamus J. Wilson" wrote in
:

I was considering putting film on inside pane. Spouse called Millard
the maker and they said bad idea with no explanation. Why bad idea?
Thanks,
Seamus J. Wilson

Why not ask people who said it was a bad idea?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 27, 3:17*pm, "Seamus J. Wilson" wrote:
I was considering putting film on inside pane. *Spouse called Millard the
maker and they said bad idea with no explanation. *Why bad idea?
Thanks,
Seamus J. Wilson

What I heard is film traps heat, when the sun comes up the glass will
expand unevenly, the coldest day in winter may be the worst. On the N
side it doesnt matter and film cant have an efffect. It all depends on
the type of film and how the glass is exposed, but I would not risk
it. Ask a local tinting company.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 27, 4:17*pm, "Seamus J. Wilson" wrote:
I was considering putting film on inside pane. *Spouse called Millard the
maker and they said bad idea with no explanation. *Why bad idea?

They're probably thinking that the solar film will cause problems due
to heat build up and it will crack the pane. This is potentially a
problem when darker film is applied, though I don't know anyone that
has ever had a problem with it. I do know any number of people whose
windows were long out of warranty and did it with no problem.

http://www.iwfa.com/iwfa/Consumer_Info/qa.html#Breakage

and this from Wikipedia on Window Film:

"Selection of window film

Not all films are suitable for all glass. You must consider the
absorptance of the glass and the film, the size of the pane, the
thickness of the glass, the construction of the window – is it single
pane, insulated glass, treated (with a low-emissivity coating),
laminated or toughened.

Advice on the appropriate selection of film for the glass is vital to
ensure that the glass does not crack as a result of thermal stress.
However, it is possible that a pane of glass may break subsequent to
the application of an appropriate film, because the pane has been
damaged during the glazing of the window, or as a result of movement
of the building or other physical stresses that are not apparent at
the time of the application of the film.

Glass may crack subsequent to the application of signwriting or if
heavy, thermally efficient drapes are hung close to the glass,
particularly if the edges of the glass are damaged.

The chances of glass breakage occurring subsequent to the application
of film or signwriting or the hanging of drapes, are very small.
However breakage can occur and it is impossible to predict the edge
condition of the glass without removing it from the frame – an
approach that is not practical."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 27 May 2009 14:24:07 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour
wrote:

[...]

Two page *.pdf: (excellent)

_Thermal Stress: Film-to-Glass Compatibility_

http://www.ewfa.org/new/Thermal%20stress.pdf

(sorry my unit hiccupped three messages out)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 27, 4:24*pm, RicodJour wrote:
[...]

I put foamboard I painted flat black behind single pane to insulate it
in our -20f lows, the sun Melted the foamboard and cracked 2 windows,
Just painting it dark brown reduced heat absorption so it worked. It
was Non Uv glass so I bet the UV cooked it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 27, 8:16*pm, ransley wrote:

I put foamboard I painted flat black behind single pane to insulate it
in our -20f lows, the sun Melted the foamboard and cracked 2 windows,
Just painting it dark brown reduced heat absorption so it worked. It
was Non Uv glass so I bet the UV cooked it.

Why would you paint the foam board black or any other dark color?
That's guaranteed to heat up and create a lot more thermal stress.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Seamus J. Wilson wrote:
I was considering putting film on inside pane. Spouse called Millard the
maker and they said bad idea with no explanation. Why bad idea?
Thanks,
Seamus J. Wilson

Hi,
It can crack the glass for heat build up in summer. It happened to me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 27, 7:52*pm, RicodJour wrote:
On May 27, 8:16*pm, ransley wrote:

I put foamboard I painted flat black behind single pane to insulate it
in our -20f lows, the sun Melted the foamboard and cracked 2 windows,
Just painting it dark brown reduced heat absorption so it worked. It
was Non Uv glass so I bet the UV cooked it.

Why would you paint the foam board black or any other dark color?
That's guaranteed to heat up and create a lot more thermal stress.

Pink boards in a window that say DOW are not much in style. You only
see them on houses where the front door has a big orange oficial
notice of no Tresspass permanently glued on.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 28, 7:30*am, ransley wrote:
On May 27, 7:52*pm, RicodJour wrote:

On May 27, 8:16*pm, ransley wrote:

I put foamboard I painted flat black behind single pane to insulate it
in our -20f lows, the sun Melted the foamboard and cracked 2 windows,
Just painting it dark brown reduced heat absorption so it worked. It
was Non Uv glass so I bet the UV cooked it.

Why would you paint the foam board black or any other dark color?
That's guaranteed to heat up and create a lot more thermal stress.

*Pink boards in a window that say DOW are not much in style. You only
see them on houses where the front door has a big orange oficial
notice of no Tresspass permanently glued on.

In hindsight, do you think painting them white would have been a
better choice? I suppose you could have gotten fancy and painted lace
curtains on them, and from the inside painted a nice summer day
scene.