Posted to alt.home.repair
Jud McCranie[_2_] Jud McCranie[_2_] is offline

Default Strance A/C problem

On 27 May 2009 06:02:30 GMT, ddl@danlan.*com (Dan Lanciani) wrote:

It seems unlikely that you had three bad fan motors. Given that it is
a heat pump, the obvious guess is that a damaged defrost controller is
erroneously entering defrost mode. On my heat pump defrost mode turns
off the outside fan and turns on the secondary heat (heat strips in
your case). You might want to check whether your heat pump is (was?)
wired to be able to energize the heat strips during a defrost cycle.

I haven't heard of defrost mode before, but that is making sense. The
repairman said that the old thermostat (now replaced) was calling for
the heat strips. This A/C is for a small upstairs, and when it is not
working, at the bottom of the stairwell you can feel warm air coming
down. So it may still be turning on the heat strips.
--
Replace you know what by j to email