Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default switching out 2 pin for 3 pin sockets in my victorian home

In article
,
bob haller wrote:

yeah sure, if whatever you cut the ground pin off of gets a hot wire
touching the case, shock will result.

The odds of that are virtually astronomical. Please look around your
house and tell me how many of your electrical gadgets are cased with
metal. Even if they were, there's little provocation for wires to jump
off and touch the case.

Anyway, suppose I get a shock? I've been shocked before. Let's see,
about 20 times with 120 VAC, 2 or 3 with 240 VAC, 5 or 6 times with
35,000 volts in televisions, and another 5 or 6 with 450 volts of DC in
tube amplifiers. Those last ones were the worst, by far. Really knock
your ass across the room.

Whenever I get a shock, it reminds me to be more careful. That's a good
thing.

guess the electrical code is meaningless for you?

I believe it contains good suggestions. Similar in importance to stop
signs, and speed limits.

a nice to have really not necessary?

Yep. A replacement for common sense. I prefer the latter.

geez do you maintain your vehicle? or run it with worn out everything?

I just turned 200k on my 98 avalon. Runs like brand new. WTF does that
have to do with a superstitious belief in grounding?