Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Toro Walk-Behind Runs Really Sloooooow

On Tue, 26 May 2009 12:55:49 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On May 14, 3:20*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I've got a Toro Recyclermowerwith a B&S engine.

http://www.toro.com/home/mowers/recycler/20064.html

At the end of last season I ran it dry and stored it for the winter.

Last weekend I changed the oil and filled it with fresh gas. After a
few starts and stalls, it eventually stayed running. It ran fine for
several minutes and then dropped to about half speed, RPM speaking.

Now it starts on a couple of pulls just like it did all last year, but
it runs really, really slow. It doesn't seem like it wants to stall,
it's just running at a very slow speed and obviously not cutting as
well.

Where should I start looking for problems?

Thanks!

Update:

I've changed the plug and the air filter.

I've changed the fuel - after mixing in some carb cleaner and running
it through.

I've made sure the ecreen at the bottom of fuel tank is clear.

I've made sure the hose from the tank to the carb and the hose from
the carb to the engine were clear.

I sprayed all of the exposed linkages and springs with cleaner to de-
gunk them.

I dropped the bowl and cleaned up the float and needle - without
removing anything except the bowl.

Nothing helped. The mower runs fine for a few minutes after each start
and then drops to a really slow, almost-stall-but-not-quite speed.

I'm thinking it's shop time...

Loosen the gas cap, see if helps. Using a paper clip you can pierce
the hole in the cap, to ensure it is cleared. The fuel tanks needs to
vent.

Does the engine have a coil? Perhaps it is cracked and runs like this
when the coil heats, expands and leaks?