Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB[_10_] SteveB[_10_] is offline

Default Propane rip-off

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On May 25, 7:08 pm, "SteveB" wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

On May 25, 10:55 am, "SteveB" wrote:

"DerbyDad03" wrote

I've never been charged *once* in the decades of letting my tanks run
empty - assuming that when my grill flame goes out, the tank is empty.

*********

I have never been charged, either, but have been reminded several times
not
to let it go completely dry, or they have to do something special.

Steve

I'd sure like to know what you've been told 'cuz as I've said, for
decades I've been running mine until the grill flames die, and no one
- not BJ's, U-Haul, the local rent-all places or anyone else that
fills propane tanks has ever said anything to me.

******

Okay. It went something like this:

If you bring in a tank that has absolutely no pressure, that means we have
to purge the air out because it may have some humidity in there. We're not
going to charge you this time, so please at least be sure to close the
valve. Maybe they were fussing because I brought in a tank with an open
valve.

You speak as if just because it hasn't happened to you doesn't mean it
hasn't happened to someone somewhere.

Actually, you read what I write and interpret how I speak.

I never implied - nor meant to imply - that you weren't told what you
said you were told. I simply stated that no entity has ever told me
not to empty my tank before bringing it in to be refilled. In fact, I
even said "assuming that when my grill flame goes out, the tank is
empty" - meaning perhaps my tanks weren't empty so purging wasn't
required.

I then asked what you were told - out of curiosity, not doubt -
because, as I stated, I've had my tanks filled at numerous and varied
places and the subject has never came up.

I've had heart surgery and broke my back. Has that happened to you?

No, but when I was a teenager I had my nose surgically put back into
place after someone used a belt buckle on it, and I've had my bicep
tendon reattached to my elbow - just a few months ago in fact.

I'm glad you survived your heart attack.

*****

So, bottom line, it just depends on the geek behind the counter. When they
were changing the tanks for OPDs, there was almost a no questions asked
attitude. Other people here have stated, and I confess to taking in tanks
that I knew were very old, yet they changed them out to get the repeat
business. Then, I'm almost sure that you have run into the opposite side of
the coin, wanting everything except a blood sample before they will refill
your tank.

I vote with my money. I don't come back. And if it is an issue that I
won't be back over, I am sure to let the manager know why.

YMMV

Steve