Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Turn off water and gas when out of town

bob haller wrote:
On May 25, 12:12�am, fftt wrote:
On May 24, 6:46�pm, Yong Huang wrote:

My whole family will be out of town for three weeks. I plan to turn
off main valves for water and for gas. To me, this is all good,
nothing bad. Any comments? I'll leave the refrigerator on. If water
line is cut off, will it run OK? Thanks.
Yong Huang

Why bother? �What is your objective?

I've owned homes for 30 years & never bothered to turn off the gas or
water for short vacancies.

cheers
Bob

Turning things off may get you hot water tank hard to relight, valves
leaking etc. open water valve at low point top drain excess
pressure.turn all hot water tanks off, if yours leaks it can start a
fire or burn out elements.

a old neighbor turned off their water and went on vacation, some kids
opened hose valve for a drink, no water. they left hose on and walked
away. hose siphoned water from home, ruined hot water heater after it
got low on water

some main water valves are never moved, another neighbor thought his
was off, left valve in washtub on, and had wonderful 3 weeks in
alaska. had monumental water and sewer bill while away. the valve mus
of not been all the way off, water ran while they were gone, and
flooded their basement

the more important issues are keeping house looking lived in, stop
mail pick up junk mail and trash in yard, cut grass move drapes.

check with your insurance company a vacant home attracts vandals. have
a trusted neighbor walk thru and check on things, lights on timers,
perhaps a radio on a timer.

Trusted neighbor? What slice of the 1950s do you live in? Wonderful if
you have them, I guess, but not really common these days, at least
around here. I nod at my neighbors when I'm out doing yardwork, they nod
at me, that is about the extent of it. I certainly wouldn't presume to
ask any of them to enter my house in my absence, much less mow my yard
or anything. Not even any teenage kids around here to hire for mowing,
not that teenagers do that anymore anyway.

But yeah, otherwise what you said makes sense.

--
aem sends...