Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Turn off water and gas when out of town

My whole family will be out of town for three weeks. I plan to turn
off main valves for water and for gas. To me, this is all good,
nothing bad. Any comments? I'll leave the refrigerator on. If water
line is cut off, will it run OK? Thanks.

Yong Huang
Posted to alt.home.repair

Yong Huang wrote:

My whole family will be out of town for three weeks. I plan to turn
off main valves for water and for gas. To me, this is all good,
nothing bad. Any comments? I'll leave the refrigerator on. If water
line is cut off, will it run OK? Thanks.

Yong Huang

The water that supplies the Ice and cold water dispenser will freeze solid.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yong Huang wrote:
My whole family will be out of town for three weeks. I plan to turn
off main valves for water and for gas. To me, this is all good,
nothing bad. Any comments? I'll leave the refrigerator on. If water
line is cut off, will it run OK? Thanks.

Yong Huang

you should also turn off the icemaker

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , evodawg wrote:
Yong Huang wrote:

My whole family will be out of town for three weeks. I plan to turn
off main valves for water and for gas. To me, this is all good,
nothing bad. Any comments? I'll leave the refrigerator on. If water
line is cut off, will it run OK? Thanks.

Yong Huang

The water that supplies the Ice and cold water dispenser will freeze solid.

Nonsense.

I believe the fill tube for the ice maker actually
drains after filling the ice cube mold. The designers
considered it freezing up. Perhaps that's why the
solenoid valve is down by the compressor on most
standard refrigerators. When I wrote drains, I mean
the water tube is made in such a way that it will
empty much like a frost proof outdoor spigot.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , evodawg
wrote:
Yong Huang wrote:

My whole family will be out of town for three weeks. I plan to turn
off main valves for water and for gas. To me, this is all good,
nothing bad. Any comments? I'll leave the refrigerator on. If water
line is cut off, will it run OK? Thanks.

Yong Huang
The water that supplies the Ice and cold water dispenser will freeze
solid.

Nonsense.

I believe the fill tube for the ice maker actually
drains after filling the ice cube mold. The designers
considered it freezing up. Perhaps that's why the
solenoid valve is down by the compressor on most
standard refrigerators. When I wrote drains, I mean
the water tube is made in such a way that it will
empty much like a frost proof outdoor spigot.

TDD

fine, FWIW, Ive seen it happen more than once. I've charged every time it
happened, so go for it. Empty what, you turn off water it still has
pressure in it unless youre smart enough to drain the outside sill cock.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Website Address http://rentmyhusband.biz/
Posted to alt.home.repair

Yong Huang wrote:
My whole family will be out of town for three weeks. I plan to turn
off main valves for water and for gas. To me, this is all good,
nothing bad. Any comments? I'll leave the refrigerator on. If water
line is cut off, will it run OK? Thanks.

Yong Huang

The water that supplies the Ice and cold water dispenser will freeze
solid.

how?

The icemaker can freeze if it tries to make a batch and does not fill
properly. Water dispenser should be OK. Just turn the ice maker off and it
should be OK. Yes, I've had it happen when I had the water off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 24, 10:56*pm, evodawg wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , evodawg
wrote:
Yong Huang wrote:

[...]

Website Addresshttp://rentmyhusband.biz/- Hide quoted text -

Duh..? WTF are you talking about dude..? When you're in a hole, stop
digging..Your original response shows you know about as much as the
OP...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 24, 9:46*pm, Yong Huang wrote:
My whole family will be out of town for three weeks. I plan to turn
off main valves for water and for gas. To me, this is all good,
nothing bad. Any comments? I'll leave the refrigerator on. If water
line is cut off, will it run OK? Thanks.

Yong Huang

Why would the water being off have anything to do with how the
refrigerator runs..? I don't think your people should be messing with
anything of this nature.. Leave it to he handyman.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 24, 6:46*pm, Yong Huang wrote:
My whole family will be out of town for three weeks. I plan to turn
off main valves for water and for gas. To me, this is all good,
nothing bad. Any comments? I'll leave the refrigerator on. If water
line is cut off, will it run OK? Thanks.

Yong Huang

Why bother? What is your objective?

I've owned homes for 30 years & never bothered to turn off the gas or
water for short vacancies.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 25, 12:12�am, fftt wrote:
On May 24, 6:46�pm, Yong Huang wrote:

My whole family will be out of town for three weeks. I plan to turn
off main valves for water and for gas. To me, this is all good,
nothing bad. Any comments? I'll leave the refrigerator on. If water
line is cut off, will it run OK? Thanks.

Yong Huang

Why bother? �What is your objective?

I've owned homes for 30 years & never bothered to turn off the gas or
water for short vacancies.

cheers
Bob

Turning things off may get you hot water tank hard to relight, valves
leaking etc. open water valve at low point top drain excess
pressure.turn all hot water tanks off, if yours leaks it can start a
fire or burn out elements.

a old neighbor turned off their water and went on vacation, some kids
opened hose valve for a drink, no water. they left hose on and walked
away. hose siphoned water from home, ruined hot water heater after it
got low on water

some main water valves are never moved, another neighbor thought his
was off, left valve in washtub on, and had wonderful 3 weeks in
alaska. had monumental water and sewer bill while away. the valve mus
of not been all the way off, water ran while they were gone, and
flooded their basement

the more important issues are keeping house looking lived in, stop
mail pick up junk mail and trash in yard, cut grass move drapes.

check with your insurance company a vacant home attracts vandals. have
a trusted neighbor walk thru and check on things, lights on timers,
perhaps a radio on a timer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , fftt wrote:
On May 24, 6:46=A0pm, Yong Huang wrote:
My whole family will be out of town for three weeks. I plan to turn
off main valves for water and for gas. To me, this is all good,
nothing bad. Any comments? I'll leave the refrigerator on. If water
line is cut off, will it run OK? Thanks.

Yong Huang

Why bother? What is your objective?

I turn mine off if the house will be empty for more than
a week. I turn off the gas to save money (and as an extreme
safety measure). I turn off the water in case of a leaks.

Water leaks do happen spontaneously, and often. Having
said that, by far the most common cause is the failure
of the flexible hoses to washing machines and dish
washers. I've installed high quality flex hoses and
so my risk is greatly reduced. But it takes 30 seconds
to turn the entire water supply to the house off and
I'd rather do that than face a small risk of major
damage and a serious cleanup project.

Although I turn off the water supply to my house, I
have it arranged so the sprinkers can remain on.
That's critical for a long summer vacation unless I
want to return home to a dead lawn and plants.

I leave the power on but disconnect most outlets
except for the fridge/freezers and security lights.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 24 May 2009 19:56:43 -0700, evodawg
wrote:

The Daring Dufas wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , evodawg
wrote:
Yong Huang wrote:

[...]

How would you drain it?

Have you ever seen a frost-proof outdoor spigot? Remember, in this
case, we're not talking about turning off all the water, only this
spigot, so of course the pipe still has pressure in it, but the
outside sill cock doesn't require any draining. That's the whole
point of the design.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote in news:gvcvbl02rc0
@news2.newsguy.com:

Yong Huang wrote:
My whole family will be out of town for three weeks. I plan to turn
off main valves for water and for gas. To me, this is all good,
nothing bad. Any comments? I'll leave the refrigerator on. If water
line is cut off, will it run OK? Thanks.

Yong Huang

you should also turn off the icemaker

nate

....simply by pushing the "ice full" bar up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
Yong Huang wrote:

My whole family will be out of town for three weeks. I plan to turn
off main valves for water and for gas. To me, this is all good,
nothing bad. Any comments? I'll leave the refrigerator on. If water
line is cut off, will it run OK? Thanks.

Yong Huang

The water being off won't effect the ice maker at all.

When I go out of town for any long period, I (try to) plan ahead and
save some $$ by emptying out and unplugging the refrigerator. Also, as I
don't have an alarm or anything else requiring power, I also shut off
the main breaker. Not suggested if you live where leaving light or
whatever on is necessary for security. (A flashlight is left by the
front door in case I return after dark)

If you do shut down the refrigerator, do so by unplugging so you won't
have to later mess with readjusting temperatures and all that. Be sure
to open everything up, and block it's door/s open, or it'll be really
skanky when you get back.

Erik

PS, A little off topic, but another thing I do is keep a $5.00 bill
permanently placed in plain sight, and positioned to be the first thing
visible upon opening the door... should it ever not be there, the cops
will be called. (Needless to say I live alone, and the bill isn't
visible from outside.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

in2dadark wrote:

On May 24, 10:56Â*pm, evodawg wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , evodawg
wrote:
Yong Huang wrote:

[...]

Well there's no sense answering any more questions in here, since you're all
experts. Have fun your on your own. This newsgroup has been kill filed.
Like I have time for it anyway. see ya!
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Website Address http://rentmyhusband.biz/
Posted to alt.home.repair

Yong Huang wrote:
My whole family will be out of town for three weeks. I plan to turn
off main valves for water and for gas. To me, this is all good,
nothing bad. Any comments? I'll leave the refrigerator on. If water
line is cut off, will it run OK? Thanks.

Yong Huang

you should also turn off the icemaker

nate

...simply by pushing the "ice full" bar up.

Thats exactly what I do when I know we won't be using ice. Problem solved.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 24, 8:48*pm, evodawg wrote:
Yong Huang wrote:
My whole family will be out of town for three weeks. I plan to turn
off main valves for water and for gas. To me, this is all good,
nothing bad. Any comments? I'll leave the refrigerator on. If water
line is cut off, will it run OK? Thanks.

Yong Huang

The water that supplies the Ice and cold water dispenser will freeze solid.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Website Addresshttp://rentmyhusband.biz/

Didny you just say everyone posts crap and you have better things to
do, well divo, your answer is a zero.

Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller wrote:
On May 25, 12:12�am, fftt wrote:
[...]

Trusted neighbor? What slice of the 1950s do you live in? Wonderful if
you have them, I guess, but not really common these days, at least
around here. I nod at my neighbors when I'm out doing yardwork, they nod
at me, that is about the extent of it. I certainly wouldn't presume to
ask any of them to enter my house in my absence, much less mow my yard
or anything. Not even any teenage kids around here to hire for mowing,
not that teenagers do that anymore anyway.

But yeah, otherwise what you said makes sense.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 25, 9:06�am, aemeijers wrote:
bob haller wrote:
On May 25, 12:12 am, fftt wrote:
[...]

aem sends...- Hide quoted text -

its best to be friends with your neighbors, have a block party, help
if you see them doing a project, start a neighborhood block watch.

observant friendly neighbors can be very useful.

like the ones next to my dads who used my dads call list in emergency
when water was running out my dads front door, the reverse osmosis
water filter tank had ruptured,.

Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller wrote:
On May 25, 12:12 am, fftt wrote:
[...]

I think that my next door neighbors would be willing to keep an eye on
our place, as I would be with theirs. (on one side that is; the lady on
the other side passed away and the house is for sale. Gotta suck for
her family to have to sell in this market.)

Now the people across the street... I dunno.

To the topic at hand; I do turn off the water and WH when I leave for
more than a day. Last time I didn't, we were only gone for three days
but of course that is when the T&P valve on the main water heater stuck
open. Fortunately only a small patch of carpet was damaged; the
flooding was confined to the laundry room and that was the impetus I
needed to rip up the crappy old floor tiles.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
aemeijers wrote:

Trusted neighbor? What slice of the 1950s do you live in? Wonderful if
you have them, I guess, but not really common these days, at least
around here. I nod at my neighbors when I'm out doing yardwork, they nod
at me, that is about the extent of it. I certainly wouldn't presume to
ask any of them to enter my house in my absence, much less mow my yard
or anything. Not even any teenage kids around here to hire for mowing,
not that teenagers do that anymore anyway.

Sorta depends on the area. We go back and forth all the time
checking on each other. Of course the "rookie" in the neighborhood has
lived there 10 years now and 5 of the 8 houses in the immediate area are
occupied by original owners from 20 years ago. We are running low on
kids for mowing, but that is more a function of lack of teens than
anything else.

--
"Distracting a politician from governing
is like distracting a bear from eating your baby."

--PJ O'Rourke

Posted to alt.home.repair

fftt wrote:
On May 24, 6:46 pm, Yong Huang wrote:
My whole family will be out of town for three weeks. I plan to turn
off main valves for water and for gas. To me, this is all good,
nothing bad. Any comments? I'll leave the refrigerator on. If water
line is cut off, will it run OK? Thanks.

Yong Huang

Why bother? What is your objective?

I've owned homes for 30 years & never bothered to turn off the gas or
water for short vacancies.

cheers
Bob

Just because nothing has ever happened in your absence doesn't mean it
never will and it doesn't logically extend to others that your
experience means nothing will happen to them. Plenty of folks have come
home to find a flood and/or extensive damage because a fitting let go or
a supply line ruptured etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Erik wrote:

In article
,
Yong Huang wrote:

[...]

When I was burglarized a few months ago, they walked right past cash
and went for my guitar.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 25, 6:54*am, George wrote:
fftt wrote:
On May 24, 6:46 pm, Yong Huang wrote:
My whole family will be out of town for three weeks. I plan to turn
off main valves for water and for gas. To me, this is all good,
nothing bad. Any comments? I'll leave the refrigerator on. If water
line is cut off, will it run OK? Thanks.

Yong Huang

Why bother? *What is your objective?

I've owned homes for 30 years & never bothered to turn off the gas or
water for short vacancies.

cheers
Bob

Just because nothing has ever happened in your absence doesn't mean it
never will and it doesn't logically extend to others that your
experience means nothing will happen to them. Plenty of folks have come
home to find a flood and/or extensive damage because a fitting let go or
a supply line ruptured etc.

George-

I make the risk vs reward calc.....turning the water off is easy, esp
since when I re-plumbed I can now kill water the house & still leave
the yard water active. But I still dont do it.

Turning off the gas requires relighting stove, water heater & furnace
pilots....too much effort for (imo) very little added benefit.

imo good maintenance is a better way to go than shutting off the water
when gone for a couple weeks......fittings & supply lines can "let go"
when you're at work ....and most people spend WAY more time away from
home at work than on vacation. Even a relatively brief leak can yield
a flood & extensive damage. So on a "time / risk adjusted basis" one
is more "exposed" to failure everyday than while on vacation. Yeah,
if you dont have a neghbor watching out for your house the water can
run a LONG time but most of the damage is done very quickly.

You're right about supply lines letting go at any time....my neighbor
had an ancient supply line blow out, but she was home. The water ran
for about 15 minutes until she discovered the failure & shut off the
angle stop. Her husband wasn't preventive maintenance type of
guy....the failed supply line was probably 20 years old; plastic &
brittle. The supply line failed in an upstairs bathroom...flooding
the wooden floor, the ceiling below, the book shelves & the first
floor wooden floor...... a huge mess & expense.

If shutting down the gas & water when you're gone gives you peace of
mind...go for it....but the "real" exposure exists everyday.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

If shutting down the gas & water when you're gone gives you peace of
mind...go for it....but the "real" exposure exists everyday.

cheers
Bob-

yeah everyday has risks. just worrying excessively about home or
anything can make you ill.

personally fixing anything around home is better than being
ill..........

so what if someone breaks in while your away? or sets your home on
fire?

observant neighbor might try using your garden hose to put out
nuisance fire set by kids. but with your water off fire grows........

its impossible to protect against everything

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 24 May 2009 18:46:40 -0700 (PDT), Yong Huang
wrote:

My whole family will be out of town for three weeks. I plan to turn
off main valves for water and for gas. To me, this is all good,
nothing bad. Any comments? I'll leave the refrigerator on. If water
line is cut off, will it run OK? Thanks.

Yes, but it will make low quality ice.

Yong Huang

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Yong Huang" wrote in message
My whole family will be out of town for three weeks. I plan to turn
off main valves for water and for gas. To me, this is all good,
nothing bad. Any comments? I'll leave the refrigerator on. If water
line is cut off, will it run OK? Thanks.

Yong Huang

I know I'm more than a little late but.......

Talk to your insurance agent about wha tis expected/require by your
insurance company. Talk to your plumber about what he recommends. Why rely
on a bunch of semi functional anonymous strangers?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Brown wrote:
"Yong Huang" wrote in message
My whole family will be out of town for three weeks. I plan to turn
off main valves for water and for gas. To me, this is all good,
nothing bad. Any comments? I'll leave the refrigerator on. If water
line is cut off, will it run OK? Thanks.

Yong Huang

I know I'm more than a little late but.......

Talk to your insurance agent about wha tis expected/require by your
insurance company. Talk to your plumber about what he recommends. Why rely
on a bunch of semi functional anonymous strangers?

That's insulting! I'll have you know that I'm a
completely non-functional anonymous stranger and
I'm stranger than most.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
Doug Brown wrote:
"Yong Huang" wrote in message
My whole family will be out of town for three weeks. I plan to turn
off main valves for water and for gas. To me, this is all good,
nothing bad. Any comments? I'll leave the refrigerator on. If water
line is cut off, will it run OK? Thanks.

Yong Huang

I know I'm more than a little late but.......

Talk to your insurance agent about wha tis expected/require by your
insurance company. Talk to your plumber about what he recommends. Why
rely on a bunch of semi functional anonymous strangers?

That's insulting! I'll have you know that I'm a
completely non-functional anonymous stranger and
I'm stranger than most.

TDD

Cool

Neat

Awsome

Sick

Whatever the propler current term is

And just so ya knows - - - you're not alone!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Brown wrote:
"Yong Huang" wrote in message
[...]

After all these years, sniff, sob, tears I'm not alone.
There are others just like me. I've been so lonely and
now, I'm so happy to know that I'm not the only one.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Brown wrote:
"Yong Huang" wrote in message
[...]

TDD- Hide quoted text -

well a wire could short and start a fire, so probably good to power
off the home, ahh except dark home may make it a break in target.

its iompossible to protect against everything............

better to be well insured, and enjoy your vacation