Posted to alt.home.repair
evodawg[_2_] evodawg[_2_] is offline

Default Turn off water and gas when out of town

in2dadark wrote:

On May 24, 10:56Â*pm, evodawg wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , evodawg
wrote:
Yong Huang wrote:

My whole family will be out of town for three weeks. I plan to turn
off main valves for water and for gas. To me, this is all good,
nothing bad. Any comments? I'll leave the refrigerator on. If water
line is cut off, will it run OK? Thanks.

Yong Huang
The water that supplies the Ice and cold water dispenser will freeze
solid.

Nonsense.

I believe the fill tube for the ice maker actually
drains after filling the ice cube mold. The designers
considered it freezing up. Perhaps that's why the
solenoid valve is down by the compressor on most
standard refrigerators. When I wrote drains, I mean
the water tube is made in such a way that it will
empty much like a frost proof outdoor spigot.

TDD

fine, FWIW, Ive seen it happen more than once. I've charged every time it
happened, so go for it. Empty what, you turn off water it still has
pressure in it unless youre smart enough to drain the outside sill cock.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Duh..? WTF are you talking about dude..? When you're in a hole, stop
digging..Your original response shows you know about as much as the
OP...

Well there's no sense answering any more questions in here, since you're all
experts. Have fun your on your own. This newsgroup has been kill filed.
Like I have time for it anyway. see ya!