Posted to alt.home.repair
Erik[_4_] Erik[_4_] is offline

Default Turn off water and gas when out of town

In article
,
Yong Huang wrote:

My whole family will be out of town for three weeks. I plan to turn
off main valves for water and for gas. To me, this is all good,
nothing bad. Any comments? I'll leave the refrigerator on. If water
line is cut off, will it run OK? Thanks.

Yong Huang

The water being off won't effect the ice maker at all.

When I go out of town for any long period, I (try to) plan ahead and
save some $$ by emptying out and unplugging the refrigerator. Also, as I
don't have an alarm or anything else requiring power, I also shut off
the main breaker. Not suggested if you live where leaving light or
whatever on is necessary for security. (A flashlight is left by the
front door in case I return after dark)

If you do shut down the refrigerator, do so by unplugging so you won't
have to later mess with readjusting temperatures and all that. Be sure
to open everything up, and block it's door/s open, or it'll be really
skanky when you get back.

Erik

PS, A little off topic, but another thing I do is keep a $5.00 bill
permanently placed in plain sight, and positioned to be the first thing
visible upon opening the door... should it ever not be there, the cops
will be called. (Needless to say I live alone, and the bill isn't
visible from outside.)