Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Simple cad/design software?

On May 24, 3:23*pm, Prof Wonmug wrote:
On Sun, 24 May 2009 08:28:25 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour
wrote:
On May 24, 11:07*am, Prof Wonmug wrote:
On Sat, 23 May 2009 14:48:55 -0500, Bert Byfield

The free version does nearly everything. It's not broken and doesn't
pester you to upgrade.

Have you used it? Would it be a good tool for designing my practice
net? Will it let me design the "pieces" (support rails or poles,
connectors, cross pieces, etc.) and then connect them?

Can it print a materials list showing me what I need to go buy to
build it?

Do I get a 3D look?

I have a question for you. *Assuming that you are a professor and/or
have some teaching experience, what is your reaction when you give a
reading assignment and a student asks you questions the next day that
make it obvious that they did not do the reading?

You sound annoyed. Sorry about that.

It happens. I'm funny that way when people ask questions like, "Do I
get a 3D look?" halfway into a thread about SketchUp. I dare you to
show me a single page on all of the internet that gives any sort of
overview of SketchUp and doesn't mention it's 3D capabilities. It is
what SU is all about!

Let's take a quick gander at what a bare-bones search of 'SketchUp'
offers up.

#
Google SketchUp
A 3D sketching software for the conceptual phases of design.
sketchup.google.com/ - 7k - Cached - Similar pages -
Downloads
3D Warehouse
SketchUp 7
Training

Pro
New features in SketchUp 7 and ...
Product Tour
Products
More results from google.com »
#
Google SketchUp
Google SketchUp Pro 7 is a suite of powerful features and applications
for ... Download Google SketchUp 7 and create, modify and share 3D
models for free. ...
sketchup.google.com/download/ - 8k - Cached - Similar pages -
#
SketchUp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Many different 3D and 2D exporters are available in SketchUp for uses
such as rendering. This model was made in SketchUp and rendered in
Kerkythea. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SketchUp - 58k - Cached - Similar pages -

Does anything jump out at you? Anything that has a 3 followed by a D?
Either there is a major laziness problem or you have serious reading/
retention issues.

First of all, this is a discussion group, not a classroom. No one is
the student and no one is the professor. We're peers. One person may
know more about one thing, someone else will know more about something
else. We are trying to pool our knowledge so that everyone benefits.
Different people will make different suggestions. The readers,
including many who are mainly lurkers, will benefit from the entire
discussion.

No one is the student? No one is the professor? Are you kidding me?
There are people on this group with skills I couldn't touch. I might
not agree with their diversions into politics, etc., but there's no
way that they are not 'giving a schooling'.

You are asking for a quick bring-me-up-to-speed education. Four out
of the first five replies all pointed to SketchUp and provided exactly
the information you were asking for and included links.

Secondly, you seem to have assumed that I am too lazy to do any work
myself. This is a little arrogant. I suggest you get more
psychological training to help you read minds, because you're not that
good at it. ;-)

You did not read the links that were posted as they answered your
questions. So, either it's laziness or...?

Bert offered some information suggesting that he had experience with
SketchUp. I responded to that as I would if we were face to face.
Feedback from an actual user is worth its weight in gold. I have
downloaded and installed SketchUp and am working my way through the
tutorials, but I can easily get in 2 minutes from an experienced user
what might take me days to stumble through on my own.

I see the confusion. You consort with people that offer advice
without ever having had experience with the item in question. I have
yet to find anyone on this newsgroup that does that. If they have no
personal experience, they say they have no personal experience. It
keeps things simple.

If you had Googled this newsgroup you would have known this, known
that there are plenty of people here with lots of experience in
SketchUp and that no one is intentionally trying to mislead you.

Finally, my questions are very likely going to be beneficial to others
who are following this thread now or might find it in the archives.
Thje more complete it is, the better.

You mean the archives you didn't search? There are people on this
newsgroup who swear by SU and use it for all sorts of applications.
There are long running debates here on whether it is a panacea for all
things design, or an amazing niche product. You would know this if
you had done even the most basic Usenet search.

Since you are a 'nucular' physicist, Google "Sketchy Physics". Click
on a link - any one of them will do, then, here's the key part, _read_
the stuff. Then come back and tell us how _wonderful_ it is. I
promise to act surprised.

That's what everyone here is feeling at the moment. *Click the links
in this thread and read. *There are different versions of SketchUp
with different capabilities, and there are plugins that vastly
increase the capabilities.

Now you are speaking for everyone? Did you take a poll or is this more
of your intuitive skills?

I do not suffer fools gladly. Other people are more polite than I
am. If you need hand-holding and spoon-feeding you should probably
either grow thicker skin fast or seek out a touchy feely newsgroup to
help get your feet wet with Usenet.

It's probably best that you avoid any teaching roles. It sounds like
you don't have the patience for it. ;-)

As I said...