Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Propane rip-off

On May 23, 12:15*am, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
Saw this on another newsgroup.
Seems as though the big sellers of exchange tanks are not filling them all
the way now.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090522/...g_on_propane_2

This is a really long thread, and I'm jumping in late, so maybe this
has already been covered.

I don't see the rip-of factor here. A few months ago, in a fit of
laziness and "I'm in a hurry" I went to the orange box and exchanged
an empty Blue Rhino tank for a full AmeriGas tank. It was clearly
marked on the AmeriGas tank that the tar weight was 17 lbs but that
the net weight was 15 lbs.

It doesn't matter whether the exchange cost me $15, $25 or $250, the
tank was marked with the weight of the contents and it was my choice
to buy it or not. How is the consumer getting ripped off if they have
all the information they need to make a decision?

On the other hand, I just came back from BJ's where I got a Blue Rhino
can filled for $13.99. I took it home and weigh it: 35 lbs. So
obviously I got my full 17 lbs (and a better deal) at BJ's than at the
orange box, but in both cases I knew what I was getting for my money.

Read the label, or the unit pricing info, and if you get what is
stated for the price marked, you didn't get ripped off.