Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB[_10_] SteveB[_10_] is offline

Default Propane rip-off

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
5.250...
On Sat 23 May 2009 09:32:48p, Ed Pawlowski told us...

"Jessica" wrote in message

There is no reason why propane sales should need to charge a full tank
for a 1/4 tank fill, if propane dealers weren't out to gouge and cheat
their customers. We aren't talking bulk sales here, and charging by
the unit sold certainly adequately includes labor costs for other fuel
sales.

The article cited already establishes the propane industry's (lack of)
integrity and business ethics by providing less product without
informing their customers. It's not surprising they freely engage in
less than above-board practices.

They do it because they can. It has been an accepted policy for many
years.

Propane dealers are some of the worst on the planet. They have widely
varying rates depending on use, they won't fill the tanks of another
company, they rent tanks for years, they make if difficult to let you
buy a tank, and on and on.

If you're talking about the standard tank use for gas grills, there's a
glut of them for sale at any big box store in this area, and any filling
facility will fill them with no problem.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sounds like you live in a tough neighborhood, Jessica. The gas businesses
here are geared to make people happy, so they will return year after year.
Last trip in, I talked to them about installing a large tank for propane
because we are converting to propane stove. Maybe it's just my attitude,
but I have never had a problem with propane dealers, and I go out there when
they fill the cylinders and make sure I get a ticket for only what they put
in. A chimpanzee could read those simple gauges. If you're the trusting
type who just takes them in and does very little in the way of monitoring
them, then you get what you get.

Steve