Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Propane rip-off

Jim Yanik wrote:
wrote in :

On Sat, 23 May 2009 04:50:29 -0700 (PDT), ransley
wrote:

On May 22, 11:15 pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
Saw this on another newsgroup.
Seems as though the big sellers of exchange tanks are not filling
them all the way now.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090522/...ping_on_propan
e_2
Cheating, the oldest job known to man. Time for the billionth new law?
If gasolene pumps were not verified randomly you would be cheated when
you fill your car, how do you know the home fuel delivery man doesnt
cheat you, if you are not there.

The home fuel delivery man inserts a card in a meter that stamps the
beginning and end of the pumping cycle. It shows how many gallons were
pumped to the hundreths of a gallon. He leaves that card stuck in your
kitchen door.

who checks/verifies the truck's meter?

At least the State has inspections and calibrates the gas pumps,puts a
sticker on the pump right where you can see it.

Fuel delivery trucks are checked a yearly, at least, by the state with a
calibrated device, adjusted, and sealed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 22, 11:15 pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
Saw this on another newsgroup.
Seems as though the big sellers of exchange tanks are not filling
them all the way now.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090522/...ping_on_propan

One thing I hadn't noticed in all the replies to this thread was using natural
gas. I specifically sought out an outdoor grill that uses natural, and can't be
more pleased. No more wondering when the tank was going to give up, no lugging
it, and its spare, off to the fill station, and certainly not being shocked at
the prices those tank exchanges that proliferate at "convenience" stores charge.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message

If you're talking about the standard tank use for gas grills, there's a
glut of them for sale at any big box store in this area, and any filling
facility will fill them with no problem.

To clarify, I meant the larger stationary tanks used at the home for
heating, cooking, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Sat 23 May 2009 09:58:42p, SteveB told us...

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
Saw this on another newsgroup.
Seems as though the big sellers of exchange tanks are not filling them
all the way now.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090522/...g_on_propane_2

Why would anyone want to take them in and exchange them in the first
place? Take them to a refiller yourself and pocket the money.

Steve

Exactly!

Tanks do have a finite life and I believe testing is required every 5-10
years so I did not feel as ripped off when I got rid of old rusty tank
but will definitely go to refiller next time.

There is a convenience factor in the HD exchange as you can drive up,
dyi with credit card and it only takes a few minutes. This versus going
to the Shell mart and trying to get someone to fill the tank while
people are buying cigarettes and sandwiches

Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:

When they deliver fuel the meter stamps the beginning
and ending pump reading on the ticket.

I nobody is looking, what is to stop him from pumping some of the
fuel back into the tank on his truck?
--
I don't understand why they make gourmet cat foods. I have
known many cats in my life and none of them were gourmets.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

Yanik. Young. Maybe we're related?

I'm half Hungarian. The rest English/Scottish mutt.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Propane rip-off? Go natural!

One fellow I know did just that. Put in a gas line to his
outdoor grill. That's fine as long as the natural gas is
working. Which is essentially all the time.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"JKevorkian" wrote in
message ...

One thing I hadn't noticed in all the replies to this
thread was using natural
gas. I specifically sought out an outdoor grill that uses
natural, and can't be
more pleased. No more wondering when the tank was going to
give up, no lugging
it, and its spare, off to the fill station, and certainly
not being shocked at
the prices those tank exchanges that proliferate at
"convenience" stores charge.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote in
:

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Saw this on another newsgroup.
Seems as though the big sellers of exchange tanks are not filling
them all the way now.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090522/...ing_on_propane
_2

It was in today's paper. I did a tank exchange at HD a couple of
weeks ago, "AmeriGas". Label clearly says, "net weight 15.0 lb". I
did not notice this until the issue came up. Next time I'll be going
to the guy that refills the tank on a scale and intend to pop off a
complaint to the state ag. Only good thing about exchange was my tank
looked like it was on its last legs.

An ad in today's Orlando Sentinel newspaper said 15 lbs. for Blue Rhino
exchange.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in
:

On Sat, 23 May 2009 11:49:16 -0500, "1D10T" wrote:

"LouB" wrote in message
Bryce wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Saw this on another newsgroup.
Seems as though the big sellers of exchange tanks are not filling
them all
the way now.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090522/...imping_on_prop
ane_2

Same for most everything you get at the grocery store. It's all
about concern for the consumer safety: lighter packages means less
chance of back injuries.

ROTFLMAO!!

... and adds one great big PITA. As y'all may have noticed, I am
really ****ed off about this kind of deceit, as well as other labeling
bull****. An example:
Ask Breyer's (Unilever) about this issue and also why how they get
away with calling tara gum, locust bean gum, guar gum, vegetable
mono-and-diglycerides, and other additives "Natural" ingredients. What
the HELL is natural about this **** in ice cream?

It's not natural to be in Ice Cream, but it's not "man made" - it's
"natural"

I still like Breyers better than other similarly priced brands.
Won't eat Edys,gave me intestinal distress,Ben n Jerry's supports leftist
causes.

Breyer's Triple Chocolate,YUM! love that dark chocolate icecream;
it reminds me of the Baskin Robbins caterers chocolate,that I can't find
anymore.It seems the BR's in my area no longer carry 33 flavors,but only a
smaller subset.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tom Lachance wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

but that's not what meters the gas going into your car's tank,and
determining how much you pay.

the delivery trucks are the stations concern,not the end consumer.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
One fellow I know did just that. Put in a gas line to his
outdoor grill. That's fine as long as the natural gas is
working. Which is essentially all the time.

Great idea. I can have it done for about $25,000 or so.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Might be on the English side. My Youngs go back to Germany.
Anyhow, Mr. Y, it's a fine pleasure to meet you. And we're
not getting ripped off by the propane guys.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
"Stormin Mormon" wrote
in
:

Yanik. Young. Maybe we're related?

I'm half Hungarian. The rest English/Scottish mutt.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
kua.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 23 May 2009 07:15:16 -0400, Bryce
wrote:

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Saw this on another newsgroup.
Seems as though the big sellers of exchange tanks are not filling them all
the way now.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090522/...g_on_propane_2

Same for most everything you get at the grocery store. It's all about
concern for the consumer safety: lighter packages means less chance of
back injuries.

Also, less propane means fewer lawsuits from neighbors hurt in the
explosion.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

Propane dealers are some of the worst on the planet. They have widely
varying rates depending on use, they won't fill the tanks of another
company, they rent tanks for years, they make if difficult to let you buy a
tank, and on and on.

There's a dozen or so dealers around here and the one I use has been
consistently the most competitive on pricing, so I'm not too concerned. That
said, they definitely make it financially difficult to buy your own tank.

I pay about $75/year for tank rental on a 500 gal tank. If I wanted to buy my
own tank, it would cost me in the neighborhood of $1000 installed. With the cost
of money, that's close to 15 year break even. I haven't checked, but it wouldn't
surprise me if periodic teating of the tank is required. That's included in the
rental but would be my responsibility if I purchased.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveB" wrote:

Why would anyone want to take them in and exchange them in the first place?
Take them to a refiller yourself and pocket the money.

Well yes, but why do people buy things at convenience stores instead of the
local grocery store? There definitely is a price for convenience...

Around here, retail propane goes for about $2.50/gallon, so filling a bbq tank
is less than $10. But in this metro area of 750K people, there are only a couple
of dozen places to get retail refills.

The exchange places are all over (that convenience thing), but the price for an
exchange is about $25. OTOH, when you just fired up the grill, it dies, the
steaks are ready to go on and your firends are laughing, where are you going?

Easily solved by having a spare tank and rotating them, but how many people do
that?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 24 May 2009 06:39:46 -0700, Daniel Prince
wrote:

George wrote:

When they deliver fuel the meter stamps the beginning
and ending pump reading on the ticket.

I nobody is looking, what is to stop him from pumping some of the
fuel back into the tank on his truck?

There is no way to do that easily, and if there was, he would more
than likely get a lot of sediment mixed in anyway. Then, there is the
issue of how would the delivery guy benefit? He generally is just a
peon working for hourly wages, not the owner. If he got caught, he
would go to jail for theft, anyway.

It simply ain't gonna happen.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
5.247...
On Fri 22 May 2009 09:15:14p, Ed Pawlowski told us...

Saw this on another newsgroup.
Seems as though the big sellers of exchange tanks are not filling them
all
the way now.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090522/...g_on_propane_2

I really don't understand why people bother to buy exchange tanks in the
first place. To me, the rip-off is paying for the use of their tank.
There
is no advantage that I can see, since you still have to carry an empty
tank
back and a full tank home. We have two tanks that we bought at Lowe's.
We
use one on the grill and one as a backup. It's amazingly cheaper to just
have the tank filled at a local gas station and their prices are fair and
competitive. I think my last fill up cost around $9.00 and was filled to
the
legal limit.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Ditto here. I think it's ignorance (just not knowing that they can go get
them filled cheaper) and laziness. When you start looking around, there
are quite a lot of places to get them refilled, although on first thought,
one might think that they have to drive to an industrial district, etc.

I have three at this house, two at the cabin, and eight at my rental houses.
We never run out. I took two and got them refilled the other day, and it
was less than $20.

Plus, when you have them refilled at a gas sales place, they just charge you
for what you get so you can top them off. At the exchange, I'm sure that
people exchange fractionally full tanks, but receive no credit or
consideration for the amount they have remaining in the tank.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
5.250...
On Sat 23 May 2009 09:32:48p, Ed Pawlowski told us...

"Jessica" wrote in message

There is no reason why propane sales should need to charge a full tank
for a 1/4 tank fill, if propane dealers weren't out to gouge and cheat
their customers. We aren't talking bulk sales here, and charging by
the unit sold certainly adequately includes labor costs for other fuel
sales.

The article cited already establishes the propane industry's (lack of)
integrity and business ethics by providing less product without
informing their customers. It's not surprising they freely engage in
less than above-board practices.

They do it because they can. It has been an accepted policy for many
years.

Propane dealers are some of the worst on the planet. They have widely
varying rates depending on use, they won't fill the tanks of another
company, they rent tanks for years, they make if difficult to let you
buy a tank, and on and on.

If you're talking about the standard tank use for gas grills, there's a
glut of them for sale at any big box store in this area, and any filling
facility will fill them with no problem.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sounds like you live in a tough neighborhood, Jessica. The gas businesses
here are geared to make people happy, so they will return year after year.
Last trip in, I talked to them about installing a large tank for propane
because we are converting to propane stove. Maybe it's just my attitude,
but I have never had a problem with propane dealers, and I go out there when
they fill the cylinders and make sure I get a ticket for only what they put
in. A chimpanzee could read those simple gauges. If you're the trusting
type who just takes them in and does very little in the way of monitoring
them, then you get what you get.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Frank" wrote in message
Wayne Boatwright wrote:
[...]

There's also a big difference between $20 and $40.

Posted to alt.home.repair

JKevorkian wrote:

One thing I hadn't noticed in all the replies to this thread was using natural
gas. I specifically sought out an outdoor grill that uses natural, and can't be
more pleased. No more wondering when the tank was going to give up, no lugging
it, and its spare, off to the fill station,

Most grills can be rejetted for NG and that definitely is a convenience.
However, if you like using a very hot grill, you may find that NG isn't to your
liking as the BTU content isn't as high as LPG. The manual that comes with the
conversion kit will show you the BTU difference after conversion - it's usually
in the neighborhood of 10% less.

Of course, if you have a 500 gal tank supplying your house, running the grill
off the house supply requires no conversion!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
One fellow I know did just that. Put in a gas line to his
outdoor grill. That's fine as long as the natural gas is
working. Which is essentially all the time.

Great idea. I can have it done for about $25,000 or so.

We had to run a new line 100' to a location farther from the cabin. Used
the old tank. Cost of changeover ......... $527. The prices in your area
must be higher.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert Neville" wrote in message
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

[...]

When I went and priced a tank for running the kitchen stove, they said the
same thing. If they own it, they do all the testing and maintenance, and it
doesn't bump up from the $50 or $75 or whatever a month. If you own it, and
you got a problem, you pay it all.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Most dairy farmers do their own teating. Do propane tanks
have teats?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Robert Neville" wrote in message

There's a dozen or so dealers around here and the one I use
has been
consistently the most competitive on pricing, so I'm not too
concerned. That
said, they definitely make it financially difficult to buy
your own tank.

I pay about $75/year for tank rental on a 500 gal tank. If I
wanted to buy my
own tank, it would cost me in the neighborhood of $1000
installed. With the cost
of money, that's close to 15 year break even. I haven't
checked, but it wouldn't
surprise me if periodic teating of the tank is required.
That's included in the
rental but would be my responsibility if I purchased.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sounds like the old guy at the propane place near me.
Unscrew the valve on the side, and pump till it sprays
liquid. He sure looked like he knew what he was doing. Old
guys like that, I really respect.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
news

You folks certainly have cheap propane. It was about $17
bucks each
the last time I filled my tanks. (3). They do fill them all
the way
tho. (crack open the screw on the side and fill until liquid
comes
out).

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert Neville" wrote in message

Easily solved by having a spare tank and rotating them, but how many
people do
that?

Beats me, but I have 4 tanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveB wrote:
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
One fellow I know did just that. Put in a gas line to his
outdoor grill. That's fine as long as the natural gas is
working. Which is essentially all the time.

Great idea. I can have it done for about $25,000 or so.

We had to run a new line 100' to a location farther from the cabin. Used
the old tank. Cost of changeover ......... $527. The prices in your area
must be higher.

Steve

Likely he means there is no natural gas on the street. My brother was in
a similar situation. The nearest line was only 1/2 block away (maybe
250') and they wanted $9,000 quite some time ago to extend the line. He
had the piping in his house sized for natural gas and put propane in and
waited. Maybe five years ago they extended the line down his street to
serve other new homes and he had them put a drop in to his house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveB" wrote in message
news

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
One fellow I know did just that. Put in a gas line to his
outdoor grill. That's fine as long as the natural gas is
working. Which is essentially all the time.

Great idea. I can have it done for about $25,000 or so.

We had to run a new line 100' to a location farther from the cabin. Used
the old tank. Cost of changeover ......... $527. The prices in your area
must be higher.

Steve

Digging up the street for two blocks to the nearest gas line is considerably
more than moving to a new location on your own property.

At work I had a gas line put in for about 120 feet. Took a crew about 4
days. Removed asphalt, trenched 48", hit rock and hammered away at it for
about a day and a half. It was a freebie though as we are a large user (up
to $20,000 a month)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jessica" wrote in message

[...]

Lots of liability associated with being a propane dealer. No dealers
around here will fill anyone else's non portable tank. If you want to
change suppliers you need to have them remove their tank and the new
supplier will place a tank and inspect your piping and equipment before
turning the gas on. The mom & pop guys aren't bad to deal with but
Suburban: http://www.suburbanpropane.com/ is over the top. They are
much more expensive than the other suppliers for fuel. Last year they
instituted a large small use fee "cooking rate" increase and high low
use prices without warning and then billed people $150 more when they
called to have the tank removed. My brothers neighbor worked for them
and he said they couldn't keep up with tank removals.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Neville wrote in
:

"SteveB" wrote:

Why would anyone want to take them in and exchange them in the first
place? Take them to a refiller yourself and pocket the money.

Well yes, but why do people buy things at convenience stores instead
of the local grocery store? There definitely is a price for
convenience...

Around here, retail propane goes for about $2.50/gallon, so filling a
bbq tank is less than $10. But in this metro area of 750K people,
there are only a couple of dozen places to get retail refills.

The exchange places are all over (that convenience thing), but the
price for an exchange is about $25. OTOH, when you just fired up the
grill, it dies, the steaks are ready to go on and your firends are
laughing, where are you going?

Just as easy to go to the Ace Hardware for a refill as to a store for an
exchange.

Easily solved by having a spare tank and rotating them, but how many
people do that?

having a spare tank is useful after a natural disaster like a flood or
hurricane. you may not be able to get refills for some time after one.

some folks have dual hookups on their grills,one runs out and they just
turn on the 2nd tank.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Yanik wrote:
Tom Lachance wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

You are responding to posts about the "home fuel delivery man" who
brings a truck of fuel to a house. The meters on the delivery truck
going to the house are certainly of concern to the end consumer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Sun, 24 May 2009 09:25:36 -0600, "SteveB"
wrote:

[...]

You must have not filled your tanks since the mandatory OPD valves
appeared.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Karla wrote in :

Jim Yanik wrote:
Tom Lachance wrote in
:

Jim Yanik wrote:
wrote in
:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090522/...skimping_on_pr
[...]

Oh,we went from exchange tanks to gasoline station pumps,to home propane
delivery.
Wow.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

Karla wrote in :

wrote:
On Sun, 24 May 2009 10:19:37 -0400, Karla wrote:

wrote:
On Sat, 23 May 2009 19:39:29 -0400,
wrote:

On Sat, 23 May 2009 10:52:40 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I might take my propane tanks to the local fill place, where
they provide an honest fill.
Try to find one that charges you by the unit instead of a flat rate.
No reason they can't top up a 20 lb tank that has 5 lb in it and
charge you for 15 lb.

THAT is a ripoff.
No, it isn't. The filling of individual propane tanks at retail also
involves labor, which is about the same regardless of how much gas you
put in the tank.
As has been mentioned elsewhere in the thread, the labor of full serve
gasoline is about the same regardless of how much gas is put into the
tank. Yet somehow, gasoline stations don't get away with charging a
fixed full price for a partial fill.

Entirely different situation that has absolutely no bearing. ZILCH.

Of course it does. Earlier in the thread somebody claimed that the
propane industry is in the right for charging for a full tank even if
only a fraction is pumped, due to the "labor cost" of having someone
fill the tank. A full service gasoline station also incurs "labor cost"
of having someone fill the tank, yet they still only charge for the
amount of fuel dispensed.

often there's a higher charge for full-service.
(they get you somewhere...)
That's why there are few full service stations in the states that don't
force it.
I believe they even had to pass a law requiring one FS pump for handicapped
people.(at least FL has one)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Robert Neville wrote:

The exchange places are all over (that convenience thing), but the price for
an
exchange is about $25. OTOH, when you just fired up the grill, it dies, the
steaks are ready to go on and your firends are laughing, where are you going?

Sheesh. My friends would be laughing if I cooked on propane instead of
charcoal. Why would you want to ruin a perfectly good steak by cooking
it on propane? Propane is for heating water in the RV.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Jim Yanik wrote:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in
:

Saw this on another newsgroup.
Seems as though the big sellers of exchange tanks are not filling them
all the way now.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090522/...ng_on_propane_
2

all sorts of products have been downsized lately.
You have to check everything.

OTOH, my laundry detergent got *more* concentrated, by 2:1. When gas
went up, the company decided to stop shipping so much water. Of course
the price went up, but this was one that really seemed like a win-win to
me.

Propane vs gas Charles Bishop[_2_] Home Repair 8 October 31st 08 12:24 PM
Nat gas to Propane Dean Home Repair 2 February 5th 07 02:41 AM
Propane vs. LPG Dave Fawthrop UK diy 0 November 19th 05 06:53 PM
Oxy/Propane Howard UK diy 4 March 7th 05 03:39 PM
Propane FAQ Stormin Mormon Home Repair 1 January 25th 05 01:31 AM