Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB[_10_] SteveB[_10_] is offline

Default Propane rip-off

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
5.247...
On Fri 22 May 2009 09:15:14p, Ed Pawlowski told us...

Saw this on another newsgroup.
Seems as though the big sellers of exchange tanks are not filling them
all
the way now.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090522/...g_on_propane_2

I really don't understand why people bother to buy exchange tanks in the
first place. To me, the rip-off is paying for the use of their tank.
There
is no advantage that I can see, since you still have to carry an empty
tank
back and a full tank home. We have two tanks that we bought at Lowe's.
We
use one on the grill and one as a backup. It's amazingly cheaper to just
have the tank filled at a local gas station and their prices are fair and
competitive. I think my last fill up cost around $9.00 and was filled to
the
legal limit.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Ditto here. I think it's ignorance (just not knowing that they can go get
them filled cheaper) and laziness. When you start looking around, there
are quite a lot of places to get them refilled, although on first thought,
one might think that they have to drive to an industrial district, etc.

I have three at this house, two at the cabin, and eight at my rental houses.
We never run out. I took two and got them refilled the other day, and it
was less than $20.

Plus, when you have them refilled at a gas sales place, they just charge you
for what you get so you can top them off. At the exchange, I'm sure that
people exchange fractionally full tanks, but receive no credit or
consideration for the amount they have remaining in the tank.

Steve