Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Neville Robert Neville is offline

Default Propane rip-off

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

Propane dealers are some of the worst on the planet. They have widely
varying rates depending on use, they won't fill the tanks of another
company, they rent tanks for years, they make if difficult to let you buy a
tank, and on and on.

There's a dozen or so dealers around here and the one I use has been
consistently the most competitive on pricing, so I'm not too concerned. That
said, they definitely make it financially difficult to buy your own tank.

I pay about $75/year for tank rental on a 500 gal tank. If I wanted to buy my
own tank, it would cost me in the neighborhood of $1000 installed. With the cost
of money, that's close to 15 year break even. I haven't checked, but it wouldn't
surprise me if periodic teating of the tank is required. That's included in the
rental but would be my responsibility if I purchased.