Posted to rec.woodworking

Default DECK SCREW SIZES?

On 5/22/2009 11:02 AM Lew Hodgett spake thus:

"justme" wrote:

Thanks, guys.

I think that I will use carriage or through-bolts.

Personally, I avoid carriage bolts like they were the plague.

Much prefer hex head machine bolts with a fender washer under the head
and nut.

Just curious, why? Esthetic reasons?

I actually prefer carriage bolts for this type of fastening. The head
bits into the wood, locking the bolt (I usually recess the head with a
shallow counterbore). And of course on the other end where the nut goes,
it doesn't make any difference.