Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default What is the point of outdoor latex stain?

mm wrote:
What is the point of outdoor latex stain? Compared to paint.

Most of the time I'm repainting wood that is already brown, but today
again I have a little fresh wood to paint, and the latex acryllic
solid stain I'm supposed to use doesn't cover well. I can still see
all the knots, the brown is light brown instead of dark brown that
wwill eventually be with enough coats.

But I know there are intereior paints that cover completely the first
time (except when going from a dark color to a light color, which this
isn't.)

This stain never peels or chips, but can't they make latex paint like
that too?

It's Duron brand sold in Duron stores, a regional brand I think
centered around Baltimore, and I called and asked if they had a paint
in the same color, and what the guy said is that they had both
transparent and opaque stains, and opaque stain was like paint. But
it's not afaik.

Please explain this to me. :-)

The Cabots solid stain I use on my deck covers completely in one coat.

In my experience, the stain doesn't chip or peel, it just fades away. A pressure
washer or sander quickly removes what needs to be removed for re-coating. It
does need recoating every couple years here in Seattle.