Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default What is the point of outdoor latex stain?

What is the point of outdoor latex stain? Compared to paint.

Most of the time I'm repainting wood that is already brown, but today
again I have a little fresh wood to paint, and the latex acryllic
solid stain I'm supposed to use doesn't cover well. I can still see
all the knots, the brown is light brown instead of dark brown that
wwill eventually be with enough coats.

But I know there are intereior paints that cover completely the first
time (except when going from a dark color to a light color, which this
isn't.)

This stain never peels or chips, but can't they make latex paint like
that too?

It's Duron brand sold in Duron stores, a regional brand I think
centered around Baltimore, and I called and asked if they had a paint
in the same color, and what the guy said is that they had both
transparent and opaque stains, and opaque stain was like paint. But
it's not afaik.

Please explain this to me. :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message

This stain never peels or chips, but can't they make latex paint like
that too?

The theory is that
stain penetrates the surface of the wood, while
paint forms an impermeable surface over the
wood: it is not designed to penetrate the wood
which is why paint often requires a primer while
stain does not.

The practical difference is that (outdoors) it is much
easier to touch up a coat of stain in spots, while
exterior paints usually require overall coverage in
order to appear uniform.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
[...]

The Cabots solid stain I use on my deck covers completely in one coat.

In my experience, the stain doesn't chip or peel, it just fades away. A pressure
washer or sander quickly removes what needs to be removed for re-coating. It
does need recoating every couple years here in Seattle.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 22, 1:28*pm, mm wrote:
[...]

Stain stays soft and wont peel if done right, Duron? try a name brand
from a real paint store that can give advise on what they sell, not
HD.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 22 May 2009 14:38:19 -0400, "Don Phillipson"
wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
.. .

This stain never peels or chips, but can't they make latex paint like
that too?

The theory is that
stain penetrates the surface of the wood, while
paint forms an impermeable surface over the
wood: it is not designed to penetrate the wood
which is why paint often requires a primer while
stain does not.

The practical difference is that (outdoors) it is much
easier to touch up a coat of stain in spots, while

Well that is definitely true. I can't tell where I've touched up and
where I haven't. Very valuable.

exterior paints usually require overall coverage in
order to appear uniform.

That would be bad.

I guess I'll stick with the stain.

Ransley said.
Stain stays soft and wont peel if done right,

Aha. Thank you.

Duron? try a name brand
from a real paint store that can give advise on what they sell, not
HD.

Duron is not sold at HD. It has its own stores. And sticking with
the same brand means the same color which means I can touch up without
it showing, as above. Plus this is the color the house was painted
originally and which we are supposed to use.

(Nowadays, townhouses are each painted a different color because there
was so much trouble getting people to stick wth the proper color. But
my block and everything I can see from my house are all still right,
after 30 years. There is a strange other color in a different area
that was indeed hard to match, (squash yellow, or I think they called
it golden harvest, or maybe that was a refrigerator) for those who
didn't know they were supposed to go to Duron, and it's a mess. They
also couldn't get vinyl or aluminum siding in their color, but it's
available in this shade of brown. The vinyl or the aluminum, I forget
which, is's not guaranteed, but they last well anyhow in this latitude
and weather.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"mm" wrote in message

[...]

Lowes sells Cabot's stain.
Cabot's solid stain has been top ranked by Consumers Reports.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

m...
wrote:

"mm" wrote in message

[...]

I can vouche for the Cabot's solid stain but it is not longer in the states
which have gone Green with regards to VOCs. I found this out when I went to
buy more of it and had done the back of my garage in the solid. The latex
looks pink and like I haven't done anything to the wood. **** poor results.