Posted to alt.home.repair
Kyle Kyle is offline

Default Buying advice for Washer and Dryer (for clothes).

On May 22, 1:09*am, "Jim" wrote:
I'm looking to buy a new Washer and Dryer. *Any brands that you would
recommend? *Any brands that I should stay away from?

Can't speak to brands because all brands have reliability issues to
some extent or another. I was a die-hard Kenmore fan until our current
'fridge and microwave both started with noises (compressor on 'fridge,
turntable on microwave) and they're less than six months old (and
Sears home repair sucks worse than...I can't think of an apt
comparison as to the monumentality of their suckage).

*
I want a traditional style Top Loading Washer with the agitator.

I was set on getting a Front Loading Washer, but everyone I know who owns
ones regrets it. Maybe they picked a bad model? *Any comments about front
loaders?

Excepting my comment above about Kenmore, my wife and I owned a
Kenmore front-loader for four years before we sold the house, and were
extremely happy with the washer. It was incredibly quiet, yes, and
used 1/4 the water of our old top loader.

What sold us were two things: front-loaders are easier on clothes than
top-loaders because top-loaders' agitators have to make the clothes
circulate; and front-loaders spin cycle is at a higher RPM than top-
loaders so clothes are not as damp when they go into the dryer and you
don't use as much gas/electricity to dry your clothes (moot point if
you hang-dry).

Now, my wife's brother bought our house two years ago and to date he
is practically giddy with the Kenmore front-loader, because it
outperfoms across the board the front-loader (also a Kenmore) his last
landlord had. Difference? Ours was near the top-of-the-line and his
was a basic, entry-level cheapie.

So when it comes to appliances, in my experience, it is worth it to
move up the brand's levels to get a better-made unit.