Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Buying advice for Washer and Dryer (for clothes).

I'm looking to buy a new Washer and Dryer. Any brands that you would
recommend? Any brands that I should stay away from? I want a traditional
style Top Loading Washer with the agitator.

I was set on getting a Front Loading Washer, but everyone I know who owns
ones regrets it. Maybe they picked a bad model? Any comments about front
loaders?

Thanks for your time,
Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Jim" wrote:

I'm looking to buy a new Washer and Dryer. Any brands that you would
recommend? Any brands that I should stay away from? I want a traditional
style Top Loading Washer with the agitator.

I was set on getting a Front Loading Washer, but everyone I know who owns
ones regrets it. Maybe they picked a bad model? Any comments about front
loaders?

Thanks for your time,
Jim

How refreshing. We don't do this topic more than once a week.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Jim" wrote:

I'm looking to buy a new Washer and Dryer. Any brands that you would
recommend? Any brands that I should stay away from? I want a
traditional
style Top Loading Washer with the agitator.

I was set on getting a Front Loading Washer, but everyone I know who owns
ones regrets it. Maybe they picked a bad model? Any comments about front
loaders?

Thanks for your time,
Jim

How refreshing. We don't do this topic more than once a week.

I did a google search and there was only one related thread THIS YEAR
concerning buying advice ""what brand top loading washer is most reliable
Feb 20, 2009".

If your seeing this topic more than once a week...... then perhaps you need
to update/refresh your headers or maybe see an eye doctor.

Cheers,
Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim wrote:
"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Jim" wrote:

[...]

Hi,
15 years ago when I had this house built and moved in I bought a
mid-range Whirlpool pair. They never had trouble so far and handled
two teenagers laundry load while they were growing up. Washer has direct
drive tranny, dryer has setting for moisture sensor drying.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim wrote:
I'm looking to buy a new Washer and Dryer. Any brands that you would
recommend? Any brands that I should stay away from? I want a traditional
style Top Loading Washer with the agitator.

I was set on getting a Front Loading Washer, but everyone I know who owns
ones regrets it. Maybe they picked a bad model? Any comments about front
loaders?

Thanks for your time,
Jim

We just replaced our old Maytag - it didn't die. It wouldn't die. At
the end of a cycle, it just kept going to the next cycle, non-stop )

Got a Kenmore 500. Basic. It has one irritating feature, which is it
tries to decide how hot the washwater should be. When set on "hot"
water, it fills with a rapidly interrupted hot water gush - almost like
someone operating a hose spray on and off very quickly. The sound is
irritating. The old repair guy said that is to keep from "washing in
160 degree water". Trouble is, we don't keep our hot water very not,
not anywhere near 120, and can almost shower in hot water alone.

My daughter has an LP front loader and loves it. Does a ton of blue
jeans in one load and so quiet you can barely hear it when in the same
room. The panel reminds me of the dash on an '85 Mazda. Silver. Way
cool. )
Posted to alt.home.repair

I've had good results with Whirlpool. Mine was here when I
moved in. 1994, and only needed minor maintenance since
then. Of course, they might not be as sturdy now days. I'd
want to avoid anything touch screen or electronic.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jim" wrote in message
I'm looking to buy a new Washer and Dryer. Any brands that
you would
recommend? Any brands that I should stay away from? I want
a traditional
style Top Loading Washer with the agitator.

I was set on getting a Front Loading Washer, but everyone I
know who owns
ones regrets it. Maybe they picked a bad model? Any
comments about front
loaders?

Thanks for your time,
Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

"in2dadark" wrote in message
On May 22, 1:09 am, "Jim" wrote:
I'm looking to buy a new Washer and Dryer. Any brands that you would
recommend? Any brands that I should stay away from? I want a traditional
style Top Loading Washer with the agitator.

Thanks for your time,
Jim

I like Roper..

Roper is usually a trimmed down Whirlpool. Just missing things such as some
sound deading material. Good low end value. I had a Roper dryer once and
it worked fine. I usually buy the Whirlpool brands now.

Twenty years ago Maytag was very good,but not so good anymore. I don't know
how well they will hold up now they have been bought out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim" wrote:

I'm looking to buy a new Washer and Dryer. Any brands that you would
recommend? Any brands that I should stay away from? I want a traditional
style Top Loading Washer with the agitator.

I like Whirlpool. Until I bought a front loading Frigidaire a couple
yrs ago I had owned Whirlpools [some with a Kenmore stamp] for 30 yrs.
I think I owned 3-4 over that time, but can't remember one dying. I
moved a few times and left the washer- a friend gave me a newer one
once when they moved.

I was set on getting a Front Loading Washer, but everyone I know who owns
ones regrets it. Maybe they picked a bad model? Any comments about front
loaders?

See my other thread on the latest reason I don't like mine.
"another reason *not* to but a front loading washer"
but they still suck socks & change into places they don't belong.

My *one* positive that I can say about my front loader is that it is
quiet. So if it was in my living room, I'd consider a front loader
again. I don't know if my clothes are cleaner-- I've never had a
washer that I didn't think did that job well.

My wife was thrilled when I brought this set home as she wants
anything that says 'new' on it, and had wanted a front loader for a
year or so.
These were our disappointments;
1. Special detergent?! And few stores carry it- none have a
selection.
2. *Way* smaller drum., Too late now, but maybe they come in
different sizes.
3. Ergonomics to unload washer are all wrong--- bending over while
pulling wet clothes out of a washer is uncomfortable for both my wife
and I who both have bad backs. [I've raised them up 12" so it is
tolerable- but unloading a top loader is way more convenient.]
4. Why does it eat socks & stuff? That stupid coin catcher is a 1-2
hr job on the Frigidaire- a few minutes on the LG. . . but it still
apparently eats stuff.

When you find the set you want Google them and see what folks
like/dislike about that model.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

If your seeing this topic more than once a week...... then perhaps you need
to update/refresh your headers or maybe see an eye doctor.

Cheers,
Jim-

No he is seeing the endless what do I do my pricey front load has XXX
problem and the repair guy wants so much to fix I night as well buy a
new one. parts cost a fortune

my dad bought a LG over a year ago and is happy, but thats not very
long into the washers lifespan.

Look at a top loaders utility use, front loaders are less, but top
loaders arent killers cost wise to begin with,

so the water sewer energy saved over the lifespan of the unit probably
doesnt equal the higher upfront costs......

are the FEDS gving a energy tax credit? that could change the mix, by
30% of the purchase price.

one must avoid going green and wasting bucks..........

like saying I just cut electric bills to zero, my new solar install
looks wonderful.
so how much did the solar panel system cost?

oh only 3/4 of a million bucks but were selling power back to the
grid last month 30 bucks.

what were your electric bills pre solar? 120 bucks a month.

well thats great at 150 bucks a month savings to save any money will
be how many years?????

even with tax credits the payback will probably be after you and your
children are long dead of old age

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Jim" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Jim" wrote:

[...]

Nuts. Who said it had to be a dedicated thread with your choice of
subject line? Every time anyone asks anything about any problem or
concern with any washing machine, the whole topic of what's good, what's
bad gets re-hashed.

Cheers,
Smitty
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 22, 1:09*am, "Jim" wrote:
I'm looking to buy a new Washer and Dryer. *Any brands that you would
recommend? *Any brands that I should stay away from?

Can't speak to brands because all brands have reliability issues to
some extent or another. I was a die-hard Kenmore fan until our current
'fridge and microwave both started with noises (compressor on 'fridge,
turntable on microwave) and they're less than six months old (and
Sears home repair sucks worse than...I can't think of an apt
comparison as to the monumentality of their suckage).

*
I want a traditional style Top Loading Washer with the agitator.

I was set on getting a Front Loading Washer, but everyone I know who owns
ones regrets it. Maybe they picked a bad model? *Any comments about front
loaders?

Excepting my comment above about Kenmore, my wife and I owned a
Kenmore front-loader for four years before we sold the house, and were
extremely happy with the washer. It was incredibly quiet, yes, and
used 1/4 the water of our old top loader.

What sold us were two things: front-loaders are easier on clothes than
top-loaders because top-loaders' agitators have to make the clothes
circulate; and front-loaders spin cycle is at a higher RPM than top-
loaders so clothes are not as damp when they go into the dryer and you
don't use as much gas/electricity to dry your clothes (moot point if
you hang-dry).

Now, my wife's brother bought our house two years ago and to date he
is practically giddy with the Kenmore front-loader, because it
outperfoms across the board the front-loader (also a Kenmore) his last
landlord had. Difference? Ours was near the top-of-the-line and his
was a basic, entry-level cheapie.

So when it comes to appliances, in my experience, it is worth it to
move up the brand's levels to get a better-made unit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Jim" wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Jim" wrote:

[...]

If your tired of seeing washing machine posts then don't read them, just
move along to the next post that fits your fix or visit another newsgroup.
If you have nothing of value to add to the topic then don't post. I did my
searching before I posted.

Cheers,
Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I've had good results with Whirlpool. Mine was here when I
moved in. 1994, and only needed minor maintenance since
then. Of course, they might not be as sturdy now days. I'd
want to avoid anything touch screen or electronic.

When my old Kenmore (made by Whirlpool) top loader--direct-drive stopped
working I looked at new ones. Looked like cheap crap with a plastic gear
box and all. I decided to fix my old Kenmore. I bought a used motor for
$30 and new agitator dogs and motor coupler for less than $10. It works
great. I expect to keep repairing it as there seems to be a lot of parts
still available. I recently saw one on Craig's List for free that said it
needed a new clutch. That's fairly cheap and easy to fix. Personally I
would rather have one that's durable and reliable than one that *might* save
a couple of dollars in electricity but is expensive to repair. For that
matter I can save on electricity by setting it to wash for seven minutes
instead of ten. I have a well so a few gallons of water one way or the
other isn't going to be noticeable for me. As for the dryers, my old
Whirlpool gas dryer is in the garage and it still works except for the
ignitor that I borrowed to fix the Kenmore. No problems with either, other
than the ignitor. That makes it one inexpensive repair for two dryers in 25
years.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jim" wrote in message
I'm looking to buy a new Washer and Dryer. Any brands that
you would
recommend? Any brands that I should stay away from? I want
a traditional
style Top Loading Washer with the agitator.

I was set on getting a Front Loading Washer, but everyone I
know who owns
ones regrets it. Maybe they picked a bad model? Any
comments about front
loaders?

Thanks for your time,
Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Jim" wrote:

If you have nothing of value to add to the topic then don't post.

You're kidding, right? This is usenet. 97.4 % of the posts are of no
value. It's all about free association, humor, and killing time. I have
an idea. If you don't like my posts, don't read them.

You could have smiled at my wit and moved along, but you chose to enter
into a discussion with me about it. So don't blame me for you choosing
to "waste" your own time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
Smitty Two wrote:

In article ,
"Jim" wrote:

If you have nothing of value to add to the topic then don't post.

You're kidding, right? This is usenet. 97.4 % of the posts are of no
value. It's all about free association, humor, and killing time. I have
an idea. If you don't like my posts, don't read them.

You could have smiled at my wit and moved along, but you chose to enter
into a discussion with me about it. So don't blame me for you choosing
to "waste" your own time.

Just for fun:
Do note that the word is "elucidate" and not "ejaculate", and that
(except on usenet) elucidation and ejaculation are quite different.

--
"Distracting a politician from governing
is like distracting a bear from eating your baby."

--PJ O'Rourke
Posted to alt.home.repair

Not everyone I love mine. I will never ever go back to at top loader.
With the cost savings down the road they are really worth it. It will
cut your water bill and electrical bill.

I had a roper dryer - not that impress.

I would also stay away from GE & Magic Chef.

--
Dymphna
Message origin: www.TRAVEL.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 22, 1:09*am, "Jim" wrote:
I'm looking to buy a new Washer and Dryer. *Any brands that you would
recommend? *Any brands that I should stay away from? *I want a traditional
style Top Loading Washer with the agitator.

I was set on getting a Front Loading Washer, but everyone I know who owns
ones regrets it. Maybe they picked a bad model? *Any comments about front
loaders?

Thanks for your time,
Jim

This is one of those "I love my (insert object here) except for
(insert problem here)" kind of posts.

I love my Fridgedaire Front Loader except for one comestic problem. I
love the way it cleans the clothes, I love the reduced amount of
detergent and water we use, and I love the reduced amount of gas we
use to dry the clothes since the 1100 RPM spin cycle practically dries
the clothes by itself.

The one cosmetic problem is that the bezel that contains the control
panel keeps cracking in the same spot. I believe it to be a stress
fracture, perhaps due to a out of square frame.

We had the bezel replaced under warranty after about 6 months.

The new one cracked in the exact same spot less than a year later. It
was out of warranty so I replaced it myself.

Less than a year later it cracked again in the exact same spot even
though I tried to account for what appeared to be a slight twisting
when I installed it.

I now live with the crack since I see no point in replacing the bezel
every year.

Other than that, we love the machine and would recommend a front
loader to anyone looking for a new washer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 5/22/09 12:09 AM Jim said the following:
I'm looking to buy a new Washer and Dryer. Any brands that you would
recommend? Any brands that I should stay away from? I want a traditional
style Top Loading Washer with the agitator.

I was set on getting a Front Loading Washer, but everyone I know who owns
ones regrets it. Maybe they picked a bad model? Any comments about front
loaders?

Thanks for your time,
Jim

Stay away from anything made in China. I am a free trader but my
experience and everyone I know has problems with appliances made in
China. Look for USA for washer and dryer and you should be safe.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You did fine. That was graphic, and polite at the same time.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Kyle" wrote in message

Sears home repair

monumentality of their suckage).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 22, 12:09*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,

*"Jim" wrote:
If you have nothing of value to add to the topic then don't post.

You're kidding, right? This is usenet. 97.4 % of the posts are of no
value. It's all about free association, humor, and killing time. I have
an idea. If you don't like my posts, don't read them.

You could have smiled at my wit and moved along, but you chose to enter
into a discussion with me about it. So don't blame me for you choosing
to "waste" your own time.

97.4 % of the posts are of no value.

Did you know that 95.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,

*"Jim" wrote:
If you have nothing of value to add to the topic then don't post.

You're kidding, right? This is usenet. 97.4 % of the posts are of no
value. It's all about free association, humor, and killing time. I have
an idea. If you don't like my posts, don't read them.

You could have smiled at my wit and moved along, but you chose to enter
into a discussion with me about it. So don't blame me for you choosing
to "waste" your own time.

97.4 % of the posts are of no value.

Did you know that 95.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot?

I might have to ask you for a cite on that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim" wrote in message
I'm looking to buy a new Washer and Dryer. Any brands that you would
recommend? Any brands that I should stay away from? I want a
traditional style Top Loading Washer with the agitator.

I was set on getting a Front Loading Washer, but everyone I know who owns
ones regrets it. Maybe they picked a bad model? Any comments about front
loaders?

Thanks for your time,
Jim

Washer & dryers are a waste of money, energy, & water. The only time my
clothes get washed, is when it rains out.

You people are to used to being babied. Next thing you'll want, is running
water in your house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 5/22/09 9:38 PM JoeSpareBedroom said the following:
"Jim" wrote in message
I'm looking to buy a new Washer and Dryer. Any brands that you would
recommend? Any brands that I should stay away from? I want a
traditional style Top Loading Washer with the agitator.

I was set on getting a Front Loading Washer, but everyone I know who owns
ones regrets it. Maybe they picked a bad model? Any comments about front
loaders?

Thanks for your time,
Jim

Washer & dryers are a waste of money, energy, & water. The only time my
clothes get washed, is when it rains out.

You people are to used to being babied. Next thing you'll want, is running
water in your house.

city living versus country living has different requirements. Something
about germ theory...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 May 2009 00:09:35 -0500, "Jim" wrote:

I'm looking to buy a new Washer and Dryer. Any brands that you would
recommend? Any brands that I should stay away from? I want a traditional
style Top Loading Washer with the agitator.

I was set on getting a Front Loading Washer, but everyone I know who owns
ones regrets it. Maybe they picked a bad model? Any comments about front
loaders?

Thanks for your time,
Jim

Usually Consumer Reports has a decent article and ratings. I've done
well with my 18-year old super-capacity Whirlpool washer/dryer. I
don't like the higher price of the front loaders.