Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default DECK SCREW SIZES?

I think that I will use carriage or through-bolts.

What size do I need to attach doubled 2x4 legs to the top perimeter of a
4x8' work table using 2x4s as the perimeter?

Thanks

j/b

FWIW, if you design the legs like a door/window's header support, you
won't have to worry about the fasteners bearing the load.

You may know this already, but...
A header's framing uses a king and jack stud. The jack stud sits under
the header and holds all its weight. (I always think of it like a car
jack.) The king stud continues up the side of the header to the top of
the wall.

In your situation-- legs consisting of two sistered 2x4's-- one could
act as a jack stud, sitting directly under your 2x4 "ribbon" that goes
around the perimeter, supporting all the weight; and the other could
continue up the side of the ribbon to the table top.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--