Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Buying advice for Washer and Dryer (for clothes).

"Jim" wrote:

I'm looking to buy a new Washer and Dryer. Any brands that you would
recommend? Any brands that I should stay away from? I want a traditional
style Top Loading Washer with the agitator.

I like Whirlpool. Until I bought a front loading Frigidaire a couple
yrs ago I had owned Whirlpools [some with a Kenmore stamp] for 30 yrs.
I think I owned 3-4 over that time, but can't remember one dying. I
moved a few times and left the washer- a friend gave me a newer one
once when they moved.

I was set on getting a Front Loading Washer, but everyone I know who owns
ones regrets it. Maybe they picked a bad model? Any comments about front
loaders?

See my other thread on the latest reason I don't like mine.
"another reason *not* to but a front loading washer"
but they still suck socks & change into places they don't belong.

My *one* positive that I can say about my front loader is that it is
quiet. So if it was in my living room, I'd consider a front loader
again. I don't know if my clothes are cleaner-- I've never had a
washer that I didn't think did that job well.

My wife was thrilled when I brought this set home as she wants
anything that says 'new' on it, and had wanted a front loader for a
year or so.
These were our disappointments;
1. Special detergent?! And few stores carry it- none have a
selection.
2. *Way* smaller drum., Too late now, but maybe they come in
different sizes.
3. Ergonomics to unload washer are all wrong--- bending over while
pulling wet clothes out of a washer is uncomfortable for both my wife
and I who both have bad backs. [I've raised them up 12" so it is
tolerable- but unloading a top loader is way more convenient.]
4. Why does it eat socks & stuff? That stupid coin catcher is a 1-2
hr job on the Frigidaire- a few minutes on the LG. . . but it still
apparently eats stuff.

When you find the set you want Google them and see what folks
like/dislike about that model.

Jim