Posted to rec.woodworking
fftt fftt is offline

Default DECK SCREW SIZES?

On May 21, 10:02*pm, fftt wrote:
On May 21, 11:37*am, "justme" wrote:

What sizes of deck screws are there?

What size do I need to attach doubled 2x4 legs to the top perimeter of a
4x8' work table using 2x4s as the perimeter?

Thanks

j/b

If I'm understanding your design correctly......I would suggest using
2x8's *with a taper cut on them.

or a 4x4 with two faces tapered

For a sturdy attachment of the legs to the 2x4 table perimeter, a 2x8
will allow for a much larger over lap than the 3.5" square between a
2x4 leg & the perimeter.

The tapered 4x4 can be screwed into through the perimeter 2x4's.

A horizontal plywood gusset / *corner stiffener will go a long way to
strengthening the leg / table connection.

cheers
Bob

But to answer your question...I'd use #10 x 3 or 3 1/2" depending on
the final design.

If you use the 4x4 legs I'd suggest using 4" & 3" such that the screws
don't interfere.

cheers
Bob