Posted to alt.home.repair
AndyS AndyS is offline

Default Soaker hoses?

On May 20, 7:20 pm, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:
Any recommendations for a soaker hose? Last year we bought a
sprinkler/soaker hose -- don't recall the brand -- at Lowe's. but toward
the end of the season it was spurting water from a split in the side
near the feed end. This year I cut off the part with the split and
attached a new connector. No there is a new split from which water gushes.

Are soaker hoses fundamentally unsatisfactory, or are there some durable
ones around?

Perce

Andy comments:

In my garden I use 3/4 PVC pipe cut to the length of a row, usually
about 20 feet. . I attach
a hose, with appropriate fittings, at one end, cap the far end,
and drill small holes about
six inches apart for the length. The holes are about 1/32 dia or so.

I move the entire pipe from row to row. These pipes last forever.
Once in
a while I will notice a hole has gotten stopped up and I stick a very
small wire or drill bit in to clean it out.

In this manner I can irrigate the plants, but not the 3 foot spaces
in
between, which really slows down weed growth....

Perhaps you can use this technique .

I also use it in shrubbery and flower beds. Very inexpensive and
permanent.

I never trusted soaker hoses. Especially since I have a dog.....

Andy in Eureka, Texas