Posted to alt.home.repair
JoeSpareBedroom[_3_] JoeSpareBedroom[_3_] is offline

Default Are pine trees and pine wood as good as other firewood?

"cshenk" wrote in message
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote
"cshenk" wrote

Now lets say instead it is a wood burner stove with an easily removed
pipe and you are the sort who would actually remove and clean it
regular. It should be fine then and no reason to not take advantage of
your

How would you clean that pipe, assuming you actually inspected it and
found it needed cleaning?

I can tell you from my experinces what I have seen. I lived in South
Carolina (but up agaist the smokies so we got snow etc). Some folks had
wood burner stoves (often a Ben Franklin sort but there were other than
the pot bellies). The pipe comes up then angles out to the wall exit.
That way heat leaches all the way along it but the slight angle 'upwards'
means apparently it doesnt soot up as fast?

Cleaning was done real simple. Take pipe down (normally lifts off from
bottom then pulls out from wall) and I saw a combination of garden hose
and a stiff bristle brush with a bit of 'soap' (not sure kind of soap, may
have been 'dawn dishwishing type' for all I know). Rinse and repeat til
it runs clean.

If it helps, you'd have a kid with a ripped up towel or really old
blanket-rag who'd be at the ready as you lifted the pipe up as soot would
fall down. They'd grab it so Mom didnt have to clean much and wrap it
then run to the other end and help Dad keep it up so none fell out from
that end as it was moved to the yard.

OK. I was wondering if it took a couple gallons of paint thinner or
something. If that was the case, it seems burning pine would be a pain in
the neck, at least with my attitude toward using that much paint thinner.