Posted to alt.home.repair
The Ranger[_4_] The Ranger[_4_] is offline

Default Are pine trees and pine wood as good as other firewood?

cshenk wrote in message
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote

[snip]
How would you clean that pipe [..]

I can tell you from my experinces what I have seen.
[..] Take pipe down (normally lifts off from bottom
then pulls out from wall) and I saw a combination of
garden hose and a stiff bristle brush with a bit of 'soap'
(not sure kind of soap, may have been 'dawn dishwishing
type' for all I know). Rinse and repeat til it runs clean.

[snip]

That's how SWMBO's uncle (he owned cabin with a Ben Franklin stove in the
Sierra-Nevadas) did it. He'd also use his 1-hp Genie shopvac to clean up any
soot that dusted the floors on the way outside.

It was a filthy job and one not performed by the faint of heart but, as you
noted in an earlier post, better than the alternative. He used Ajax but Dawn
would work, too, I'm sure.

The chimney sweeps (professionals) would come out to my Sainted Mother's(tm)
home annually for chimney cleaning. Best US$39.00 she'd spend because he had
the tools to scour the inside (and then he'd clean up the mess!) That was
over two decades ago so I'm sure they're charging more nowadays.

The Ranger