Posted to alt.home.repair
BetaB4 BetaB4 is offline

Default Building steps

JIMMIE wrote:

No one will come get it and its about a 20 mile drive one way to haul
it off. It would probably take two trips, If we cant put it in the
steps we are going to bury it. The junk came with the house. There is
a welder, we may weld some of the stuff together so it will actually
become part of the structure of the steps instead of just randomly
placing them inside.

Half ton sounds about right.

I have a few properties in various locations and whenever I want to get rid
of scrap metal I just put it out by the curb. Someone always sees it,
stops, and loads it into a pickup truck they are drivng that is full of
other scrap metal. I never call anyone to ask them to come and pick it up.
If it's a property on a reasonably busy street, it's usually gone within an
hour or two. For the properties that are on side residential streets, it
often takes longer, but never more than about 1/2-day to a day for someone
to stop and take it. I put everything out there -- cast iron, sewer pipes,
iron, steel, cast iron tubs, lead, and of course aluminim, copper, copper
wire, etc. It doesn't matter what I put out there -- they always take it.

I'd bet that if you tried putting it out there, it will get taken. You
could try it with some of the smaller pieces first to see what happens. The
good part is that it does get recycled and reused -- which I like. And, the
poeple who pick it up get a few bucks for it -- that's why they stop -- and
it's easy for them because they are not making a special trip. They just
see it along the road, stop and throw it in their truck, and when the truck
is full, they take it all to a recycle place.