Posted to alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default Building steps

On May 19, 12:47*pm, RicodJour wrote:
On May 19, 11:58*am, Smitty Two wrote:

After reading 26 other replies, concerning the alleged value* of scrap
metal and the problems of rusting rebar, I'd say the best thing to do
would be to fashion the auto parts into steps by welding them together.
Skip the concrete altogether.

I like it!

*(last i checked, scrap steel isn't worth the gas to drive it to the
recycling center.)

Presently about 4 cents a pound around here. *The OP wrote "He
has some old chevy blocks , brake drums and general automotive iron".
How many is some? *Not one, probably not two unless the guy chooses
words at random, so three of more blocks, figure a couple hundred
pounds per, brake drums don't float away... *I'd hazard a wild-assed
guess of between a quarter and half a ton. *So maybe twenty or forty
bucks. *Around here they'll come get it - they pay less, but it's free
rubbish removal.

No one will come get it and its about a 20 mile drive one way to haul
it off. It would probably take two trips, If we cant put it in the
steps we are going to bury it. The junk came with the house. There is
a welder, we may weld some of the stuff together so it will actually
become part of the structure of the steps instead of just randomly
placing them inside.

Half ton sounds about right.

Jimmie