Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction,alt.architecture,sci.engr.civil
PeterD PeterD is offline

Default Building steps

On Tue, 19 May 2009 04:40:05 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

On May 18, 7:18?pm, PeterD wrote:
On Mon, 18 May 2009 13:57:23 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

ideally all rebar should be non magnetic stainless, which never
rusts.........

Ideally all people should understand the various properties of
'stainless steel'... g Stainless rusts just fine when *not* exposed
to air!

I would like a link to that! I was told non magnetic stainless doesnt
rust.

I'll see what I can dig up. This is 'common knowledge' among boat
builders, but not others. Problem being that the stainless looks
really good on the exposed surfaces, then when you try to remove it,
you find a 'ton' of rust on the burried parts. You could also try
searching various marine sites too, I'm sure you will find it.

FWIW, I didn't believe it when I was told first about the problem,
then managed to see it as I did work on boats.

What makes this problem worse in florida was the use of beach sand
containg salt.

I think the entire state of Florida contains salt! g WHere in
Florida are you, I'm frequnently in Tampa, and when to high school in
NPR.

this info courtesy of this old house episode