Posted to alt.home.repair
E Z Peaces E Z Peaces is offline

Default PB Blaster (test report)

Jim Yanik wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

I sprayed two out of four locks, on the church. Went back a
day or two later. I couldn't tell any difference between the
locks. They all worked about the same. Not sure if that's a
big enough sample to be sure.

time is the real test;
if it doesn't gum up after a few months to 6 months,then it's probably OK.

any lube would work for a short time.

A century ago, mineral oils were favored because they wouldn't gum and
wouldn't cause fires by spontaneous combustion. Often, vegetable or
animal fats were added to improve lubricating qualities. Then there
could be gumming.

Vegetable and animal fats contained fatty acids that could corrode
metal. Depending on how it was refined, mineral oil could also contain
acid.

I wonder how much has changed.