Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] norminn@earthlink.net[_2_] is offline

Default Building steps

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , Limp Arbor wrote:
On May 17, 6:53=A0pm, JIMMIE wrote:
My friend is building some new concrete steps to his back porch. He
has some old chevy blocks , brake drums and general automotive iron he
wants to get rid of . If these items are clean of fluids is there any
reason we couldnt use them as fill in the steps.

Jimmie

I would not use them because as they corrode they will at first get
bigger (Think about the flakes that come off your drums & rotors).
Then as they corrode further you could be left with a substantial
void.

How are they going to get bigger while they're encased in concrete?

Big problem in Florida - lots of buildings with balconies have had to
rework the concrete. Rebar rusted, expanded and cracked the concrete.
Some problems with the issue in our condo, but nothing structural.
Building down the street, about 12 storey, had a great deal of work done
for the problem.