BigWallop

Default Binary numbering and how to teach a moron

"Mike Barnes" wrote in message
In uk.d-i-y, BigWallop wrote:
Hi folks,

I am trying to teach a young lad how to set up binary addressable fire

alarm
systems and no matter how I explain it, or how much I write it down or

draw
it for him, he just can't seem to grasp the concept. Now I know it is

the
way I'm trying teach him and not the way he learns (?) so I'm looking for
any suggestions on ways to get this principle over to him.

He's bright when it comes to learning everything else, so it must be the

way
I'm doing it that has him confused. What it the simplest way to describe
this numbering system. I've even given him homework to do, using the

binary
system to count to one hundred, but he still gets it wrong time and time
again.

He needs to know how the DIP switches are configured in each detector to
give them a unique number on the control panel. But I'm now tearing my

hair
out trying to get it through to him. HELP !!!

I don't know how many bits you're talking about, but consider supplying
him with a simple look-up table rather than trying to teach him the
system.

--
Mike Barnes

As I say Mike, I've given him tables to take home and work out how to make
the switch number 100 say, and he still gets it wrong most of the time. I'm
getting tired following him around or sending another guy out. He's making
the numbers up as he goes along I think. :-))

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com