Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

Default Drive dump truck over lawn?

On May 15, 9:21*am, Steve Barker wrote:
wrote:
I am getting 5 tons of modified (crushed) stone delivered via dump
truck for a patio. I already have the area excavated, so most
convenient would be for the truck to dump right in the hole...but
would require driving over the rest of the lawn to get there. *It's a
small(er) truck, but I still wonder if it is going to destroy the
lawn, especially since it rained hard last night. *Any suggestions? *I
really don't feel like transporting 5 tons of stone by myself if I
don't have to.

Thanks,

You're looking at somewheres in the neighborhood of 20,000 lbs of
weight, (and that's with a real small truck) on 6 tire with a contact
area of approx 50 sq inches per tire. *So that's about 66 lbs per square
inch. *And remember, the back is probably carrying more than the front,
so the number may be closer to 100 lbs per square inch. *You're gonna
have some nice ruts unless the ground is just rock hard dried out.

I agree that the you will probably be around 100 lb/inch^2, but I
think your area calc are off a bit.

I think the inflate tires on trucks to about 90 lbs/i^2 (unladen). If
so, 20,000 lbs on 6 tires would be 37 i^2 per tire, not 50.

50 i^2 at 100 lb/i^2 with 6 tires is 30,000 lbs.

If the inflate to 120 lbs/i^2, then of course your weight per square
inch will well be somewhere above that number.