Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Todesco Art Todesco is offline

Default Should I demand a new roof...?

Nate Nagel wrote:
Red wrote:
Since I moved in to new home in 2004, we have had roof shingle
problems every year. First year some blew off, many loose. Since then
we have had loose shingles everytime there is a storm. Yet the winds
are not that high in my opinion, say 40mph gusts.

Today, we had a storm and now I can see a dozen or so loose shingles
flapping up and down. Last year I was told it was last time they would
repair the shingles on my roof. The forman and all but said the
shingles are a bad batch as the same is happening to other homes where
the roofs were put up around the same time as mine. So should I push
for a complete new roof?

Thanks,

Red

might want to see how much it would cost to have the whole thing done
with seamed steel... end your roof problems forever... (there's a reason
you see so many houses in rural/hilly/windy areas with steel roofs...)

nate

I got screwed by Certainteed. When I
put a new roof on my house, it looked
good, however, I did notice a lot of the
"roof grit" in the gutters and not just
from the beginning. It continues for
years until the shingles just started
turning
up and breaking. Others in the
neighborhood had the same problem with the
Certainteed Horizon shingle.
Certainteed admitted the problem, however,
only offered to pay prorated cost of
shingles. In my case, I needed a tear off
as the Certainteed shingles were already
the 2nd roof. It was going
to cost me $5K but Certainteed only
offered $500. I joined the class action
suite group, however, as I was selling
the house, I had to back out. See, the
sharp Certainteed lawyers convinced
everyone to allow ONLY original
owners in the Class. Certainteed
quickly gave me a $500 check. I think they
saw the writing on the wall. The suite,
to my knowledge, is not yet settled, but
I here they were real close to an out of
court settlement. I don't know what
this means to the home owners, however,
I know the lawyers will make a
killing. BTW, the roofer tearing off
the 2 roofs said that the Horizon shingles
basically fell off, but he had to work
read hard on the original 30 year old roof.