Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

Default Should I demand a new roof...?

Since I moved in to new home in 2004, we have had roof shingle problems
every year. First year some blew off, many loose. Since then we have had
loose shingles everytime there is a storm. Yet the winds are not that high
in my opinion, say 40mph gusts.

Today, we had a storm and now I can see a dozen or so loose shingles
flapping up and down. Last year I was told it was last time they would
repair the shingles on my roof. The forman and all but said the shingles are
a bad batch as the same is happening to other homes where the roofs were put
up around the same time as mine. So should I push for a complete new roof?

Thanks,

Red

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red wrote:
Since I moved in to new home in 2004, we have had roof shingle problems
every year. First year some blew off, many loose. Since then we have had
loose shingles everytime there is a storm. Yet the winds are not that high
in my opinion, say 40mph gusts.

Today, we had a storm and now I can see a dozen or so loose shingles
flapping up and down. Last year I was told it was last time they would
repair the shingles on my roof. The forman and all but said the shingles are
a bad batch as the same is happening to other homes where the roofs were put
up around the same time as mine. So should I push for a complete new roof?

Thanks,

Red

might want to see how much it would cost to have the whole thing done
with seamed steel... end your roof problems forever... (there's a reason
you see so many houses in rural/hilly/windy areas with steel roofs...)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red" wrote in message
Since I moved in to new home in 2004, we have had roof shingle problems
every year. First year some blew off, many loose. Since then we have had
loose shingles everytime there is a storm. Yet the winds are not that high
in my opinion, say 40mph gusts.

Today, we had a storm and now I can see a dozen or so loose shingles
flapping up and down. Last year I was told it was last time they would
repair the shingles on my roof. The forman and all but said the shingles
are a bad batch as the same is happening to other homes where the roofs
were put up around the same time as mine. So should I push for a complete
new roof?

Thanks,

Red

What does your warranty say? What did the manufacturer say when you
contacted them? 40mph is not a serious wind and you should be getting many
happy years of service from even a mediocre grade shingle. Keep at them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red wrote:
Since I moved in to new home in 2004, we have had roof shingle problems
every year. First year some blew off, many loose. Since then we have had
loose shingles everytime there is a storm. Yet the winds are not that high
in my opinion, say 40mph gusts.

Today, we had a storm and now I can see a dozen or so loose shingles
flapping up and down. Last year I was told it was last time they would
repair the shingles on my roof. The forman and all but said the shingles are
a bad batch as the same is happening to other homes where the roofs were put
up around the same time as mine. So should I push for a complete new roof?

Thanks,

Red

Hi,
Sounds like poor workmaship on shingle installer and/or El cheapo
shingles. Hope that is the only problem on your house. No warrany from
the builder or roofer? I have coated steel times on my roof. Good for
at least 50 years. Very wind proof, fire proof.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 14 May 2009 22:25:50 -0400, "Red"
wrote:

Since I moved in to new home in 2004, we have had roof shingle problems
every year. First year some blew off, many loose. Since then we have had
loose shingles everytime there is a storm. Yet the winds are not that high
in my opinion, say 40mph gusts.

Today, we had a storm and now I can see a dozen or so loose shingles
flapping up and down. Last year I was told it was last time they would
repair the shingles on my roof. The forman and all but said the shingles are
a bad batch as the same is happening to other homes where the roofs were put
up around the same time as mine. So should I push for a complete new roof?

Thanks,

Red

Most definitely. Roof should last 15 years before it wears out- not
blows off. I'll bet it was roofed when cold out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red wrote:

Since I moved in to new home in 2004, we have had roof shingle problems
every year. First year some blew off, many loose. Since then we have had
loose shingles everytime there is a storm. Yet the winds are not that high
in my opinion, say 40mph gusts.

Today, we had a storm and now I can see a dozen or so loose shingles
flapping up and down. Last year I was told it was last time they would
repair the shingles on my roof. The forman and all but said the shingles are
a bad batch as the same is happening to other homes where the roofs were put
up around the same time as mine. So should I push for a complete new roof?

Yes, because the foreman admitted that the shingles were defective,
meaning the home builder, roofing contractor, or shingle manufacturer
has to pay for a new roof, and quite possibly your home insurance
company will insist on one. Get something in writing saying the
shingles were made incorrectly, preferrably a technical bulletin by
the shingle maker. Any reputable builder, roofer, or shingle
manufacturer will provide this. Thoroughly photograph the roof, both
in its entirety and where shingles are loose or missing, and don't
remove any nails (but do photograph them with a ruler to show how far
they penetrated) Keep all shingles that have fallen off (evidence),
and don't separate such shingles if they came off in one piece. I
can't imagine even the worst 5 YO shingles blowing off in just 40 MPH
wings, especially since I've had 15-20 YO roofs, made with the
cheapest fiberglass-asphalt shingles that had turned brittle and lost
25-50% of their protective granules, withstand 60 MPH steady winds w/
100 MPH gusts and lose only some of their exposed tabs (cracked off).
On the other hand I've seen shingles that had been attached with nails
too short to penetrate the sheathing zipper off in one piece, and
stapled shingles usually detach with all their staples still
attached. Staples don't hold nearly as well as roofing nails, despite
making making twice as many piercings in the sheathing and having a
glue coating, and many municipalities in high-wind areas prohibit
them. Insist that any replacement roof be installed by a factory
authorized contractor and with 6 nails per shingle rather than the
usual 4.

Posted to alt.home.repair

might want to see how much it would cost to have the whole thing done with
seamed steel... end your roof problems forever... (there's a reason you
see so many houses in rural/hilly/windy areas with steel roofs...)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

I don't use anything but steel, (altho not a standing seam) on 6 houses.
Good for 30 yrs. min.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rick Samuel" wrote in message

might want to see how much it would cost to have the whole thing done
with seamed steel... end your roof problems forever... (there's a reason
you see so many houses in rural/hilly/windy areas with steel roofs...)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

I don't use anything but steel, (altho not a standing seam) on 6 houses.
Good for 30 yrs. min.

How odes it compare price wise? When I looked into a steel roof, it was 3X
the cost of a 30 year shingle but expected to last 50 years. I doubt I'm
going to last 50 years so I did not buy it as it was not cost effective.
Maybe times have changed on prices?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red wrote:
Since I moved in to new home in 2004, we have had roof shingle problems
every year. First year some blew off, many loose. Since then we have had
loose shingles everytime there is a storm. Yet the winds are not that high
in my opinion, say 40mph gusts.

Today, we had a storm and now I can see a dozen or so loose shingles
flapping up and down. Last year I was told it was last time they would
repair the shingles on my roof. The forman and all but said the shingles are
a bad batch as the same is happening to other homes where the roofs were put
up around the same time as mine. So should I push for a complete new roof?

Thanks,

Red

Yes, but who are you going to go after? Could be both or manufacturers
or installers fault. My builder shorted on nails and even though I had
a one year warranty from him before shingles started blowing off, I had
to sue him. Builders are skillful and hiding behind corporations and
settlement brought no money.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red wrote:
Since I moved in to new home in 2004, we have had roof shingle problems
every year. First year some blew off, many loose. Since then we have had
loose shingles everytime there is a storm. Yet the winds are not that high
in my opinion, say 40mph gusts.

Today, we had a storm and now I can see a dozen or so loose shingles
flapping up and down. Last year I was told it was last time they would
repair the shingles on my roof. The forman and all but said the shingles are
a bad batch as the same is happening to other homes where the roofs were put
up around the same time as mine. So should I push for a complete new roof?

Thanks,

Red

Five year old roof in 40 mph wind? Means a crap installation. Even
with the cheapest material, the roof should not fly off. Do you know
who installed the roof? Product? I would start with a letter to the
builder, certified mail (you'd be surprised .. it makes a difference),
keeping it to the point and business-like. Indicate clearly the number
of shingles coming off, the conditions, how they were nailed. If he
doesn't get going and fix it, send a letter to the licensing authority.

In the shingles that have come off, how near the nailing line are the
nail hole? Did they tear through the edge of the shingle or did the
fasteners come off with them?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:
Red wrote:
[...]

I got screwed by Certainteed. When I
put a new roof on my house, it looked
good, however, I did notice a lot of the
"roof grit" in the gutters and not just
from the beginning. It continues for
years until the shingles just started
turning
up and breaking. Others in the
neighborhood had the same problem with the
Certainteed Horizon shingle.
Certainteed admitted the problem, however,
only offered to pay prorated cost of
shingles. In my case, I needed a tear off
as the Certainteed shingles were already
the 2nd roof. It was going
to cost me $5K but Certainteed only
offered $500. I joined the class action
suite group, however, as I was selling
the house, I had to back out. See, the
sharp Certainteed lawyers convinced
everyone to allow ONLY original
owners in the Class. Certainteed
quickly gave me a $500 check. I think they
saw the writing on the wall. The suite,
to my knowledge, is not yet settled, but
I here they were real close to an out of
court settlement. I don't know what
this means to the home owners, however,
I know the lawyers will make a
killing. BTW, the roofer tearing off
the 2 roofs said that the Horizon shingles
basically fell off, but he had to work
read hard on the original 30 year old roof.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 15, 7:39*am, "
wrote:
Red wrote:
[...]

Sure you should demand a new roof. However getting it is another
story. Some states have a new home warranty requirement that covers
various significant defects for some number of years. Do you have
one? You can make your demand to the builder, but your chances
aren't good. You should also contact the manufacturer of the
shingles. Your next alternatives are to take the builder to small
claims court or to get enough other homeowners with the same problem
to make it worthwhile to hire an attorney.

As someone else pointed out, if staples were used, they can be less
reliable than nails. I saw this happen at a condo complex across
from where I lived. In a heavy windstorm, our complex had minor
shingle damage. The other place, they sustained major damage, with
whole sections blown off. Theirs were stapled, ours were nailed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
" wrote:

Red wrote:
[...]

A letter is a good start, but I'd seriously consider having an attorney
write it. The letterhead carries some weight, but more importantly, the
writing will be a fine blend of politeness and implied threat, something
few lay people are able to accomplish.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 15, 9:14*am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,

" wrote:
Red wrote:
[...]

few lay people are able to accomplish.- Hide quoted text -

Lawyer up quickly and save all documents.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red" wrote in message
Since I moved in to new home in 2004, we have had roof shingle problems
every year. First year some blew off, many loose. Since then we have had
loose shingles everytime there is a storm. Yet the winds are not that high
in my opinion, say 40mph gusts.

Today, we had a storm and now I can see a dozen or so loose shingles
flapping up and down. Last year I was told it was last time they would
repair the shingles on my roof. The forman and all but said the shingles
are a bad batch as the same is happening to other homes where the roofs
were put up around the same time as mine. So should I push for a complete
new roof?

Thanks,

Red

First how about a little MORE info....What brand are the shingles? Are they
nailed or stapled? What type of sheathing is under the shingles?Is it 1/2
inch or 5/8 ? How are they coming off? Are they tearing or pulling the
fastener out as well??

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
" wrote:

Red wrote:
[...]

We had a faulty roofing job done on our condo, just before we purchased
it. Elk shingles, done in January (Florida) and improperly nailed. The
condo board never did address the problem appropriately. When my
husband was building manager, a very informal situation, I started
getting involved because there was so much work to do. Started with a
letter to Elk and the contractor, which was rather amateurish but best
we knew how to do at the time. Eventually, we sent a certified letter
(after quite a few phone calls and faxes) and the cert. letter really
got the contractor moving. We had probably 100 or more shingles fall
off, total.
There were two major reworks, with one roofer who apparently was their
problem-solver. After that, another session of gluing down all the tabs
and a change in the City's requirements for mansard roofs. All that
toil and tribulation probably saved our roof through two hurricanes, as
we only lost a couple of shingles then when the rest of the neighborhood
had significant damage.

Lawyers cost money, and documenting the situation clearly and in a
non-hostile manner can accomplish as much (assuming owner can compose a
decent letter). If the builder still does nothing, then check with a
lawyer. IF the job was done properly, according to label instructions,
there might be recourse in filing a warranty claim with the shingle mfg.
Elk has such a process, with diminishing replacement value according
to age of the roof.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"Rick Samuel" wrote in message
might want to see how much it would cost to have the whole thing done
with seamed steel... end your roof problems forever... (there's a reason
you see so many houses in rural/hilly/windy areas with steel roofs...)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

I don't use anything but steel, (altho not a standing seam) on 6 houses.
Good for 30 yrs. min.

How odes it compare price wise? When I looked into a steel roof, it was 3X
the cost of a 30 year shingle but expected to last 50 years. I doubt I'm
going to last 50 years so I did not buy it as it was not cost effective.
Maybe times have changed on prices?

I found the receipt for the garage roof while going through some of the
papers the POs left and it was under $5K I think. (garage is almost as
big as my admittedly small house...) granted this was over a decade ago,
but still. a couple extra kilobucks for peace of mind is worth it, and
I hate getting up on a roof.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red" wrote

Since I moved in to new home in 2004, we have had roof shingle problems

New to you or a new built house and you are first owner? BIG difference.

Today, we had a storm and now I can see a dozen or so loose shingles
flapping up and down. Last year I was told it was last time they would
repair the shingles on my roof. The forman and all but said the shingles
are a bad batch as the same is happening to other homes where the roofs
were put up around the same time as mine. So should I push for a complete
new roof?

You can try, but the difference is it a new to 'you' house or literally a
new one?

No one addressed if this was just 'new to you' (AKA 'new house') but 15 or
more years in age where a roof job was apparently done to re-shingle it.
The roofer is not liable if you have structural issues in a case like that
(such as plywood going bad).

Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

Thanks for all your responces. I was out of town working today. Just got
home. Home is new - built 2004. I am first owner. On Saturday I have a
builder who is going to inspect the roof. I hope he can distinguish if the
roof was installed incorrectly OR the shingles are defective.

The shingle are made by EMCO. Dakota brand. 25yr warranty. 70MPH wind
warranty.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

Default Roof was put on in Feb/March

Yep, it was cold out when shingles were put on roof

Most definitely. Roof should last 15 years before it wears out- not
blows off. I'll bet it was roofed when cold out.

"StepfanKing" wrote in message
Yes....or No.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red wrote:
Thanks for all your responces. I was out of town working today. Just got
home. Home is new - built 2004. I am first owner. On Saturday I have a
builder who is going to inspect the roof. I hope he can distinguish if the
roof was installed incorrectly OR the shingles are defective.

The shingle are made by EMCO. Dakota brand. 25yr warranty. 70MPH wind
warranty.

You can determine yourself whether the shingles were installed properly,
but I'm not saying that you should not have a pro look at it. Builder?
Roofer? Here is a link to BP/Emco's instructions for one version of
the Dakota shingle.
http://www.bpcan.com/upload/products...008_06_25).pdf

Darn instructions are very educational. All kinds of info about slope,
number and type of nails, wind ratings, etc, etc. There are apparently
"east" and "west" versions of Dakota shingles. I didn't delve into the
differences. Just picking up the shingles that have come off will tell
you a lot. "A dozen or more loose shingles flapping up and down"? If
the shingles were deteriorating, you should see cracking or curling,
probably. IF the shingles actually deteriorated, you should be able to
see it. Inadequate ventilation can factor in to shingle failure. Don't
let them blow smoke at ya'. I believe I saw mention of the company
having a certification program for roofers - if they do, it would not be
a bad idea to try to have a certified installer look at it.

The builder had problems with other homes? Sub hired some really bad
day laborers and didn't supervise? Good luck! Nothing like a bad roof
as a learning tool )
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
Red wrote:
[...]

I just got my roof (1 story, 29 sqrs, 5/6 pitch, 30 year shingle) for $8k.

A metal roof costs $28k.

For most people a $28k roof is not an option.

od

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 14 May 2009 22:53:22 -0700 (PDT),

Staples are particularly useless on ASB or "aspenite" sheathing. That
crap should be outlawed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 15 May 2009 19:21:43 -0400, "cshenk" wrote:

"Red" wrote

[...]

Actually, if the plywood was bad and he did not replace it ( or at
least tell you it needed replacing and you refused) he is liable for
faulty workmanship.
A professional roofer knows what will stand up and what won't.
A crook doesn't care.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 15 May 2009 20:15:05 -0400, "Red"
wrote:

Yep, it was cold out when shingles were put on roof

Most definitely. Roof should last 15 years before it wears out- not
blows off. I'll bet it was roofed when cold out.

"StepfanKing" wrote in message
. ..
Yes....or No.

So the self sealing tabs never fused to the shingle below. Common
problem which can be solved with a can of roofing cement and a putty
knife and a few hours of somebody on their knees.
Roofing in the summer can be uncomfortably hot - I installed BLACK
shingles on the farmhouse where I worked as a teanager in AUGUST. It
was about 90F in the shade and 150 on the roof.
No problem with tab sealing or shingle cracking!!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote
"cshenk" wrote:

The roofer is not liable if you have structural issues in a case like that
(such as plywood going bad).

Actually, if the plywood was bad and he did not replace it ( or at
least tell you it needed replacing and you refused) he is liable for
faulty workmanship.

Thats a bit area dependant. You seem to be in Ontario? Down here a
reposonsible roofer will take care of that too, but isnt liable.

I DEMAND THAT MY WEBSITE BE PROPAGATED FAR AND WIDE [email protected] Woodworking 1 March 19th 07 03:35 PM
On-demand water heater [email protected] Home Repair 12 February 1st 07 04:54 PM
On demand hot water SteveB Home Repair 2 November 14th 05 02:09 AM
Ryobi, why no demand for it? Andrew Woodworking 34 January 9th 05 09:02 PM
Keston C25 h/w demand mod fred UK diy 9 December 31st 04 11:42 AM