Posted to alt.home.repair
Shy Picker Shy Picker is offline

Default Water Pump Problems

On May 14, 12:48*pm, fftt wrote:
On May 14, 9:10*am, hibb wrote:

Having a bit of trouble with my water pump not shutting off. Usually
when this happens I just have to pump a bit of air in the bladder and
it works fine for many months but this time that trick is not working.
I can get it to stop by shutting it off at the circuit breaker for
about 10 seconds and then turn the breaker back on and the pump stays
shut off until I run enough water for it to kick back on.

Also, I'm running on generator power today because the storm knocked
out power out last night. It has not been a problem before but it
still makes me wonder if it has something to do with it or if it is
just a coincidence.

It was probably about 20 years ago when I installed this pump. Looks
like it is way past it's prime and might be time for a new one.

David

Just a bit of guessing but I'm thinking that your water pump system is
not unlike an air compressor system.

When pressure falls below the "low pressure - pump on" limit...the
switch contacts close and the pump turns on.

When the pressure reaches the "high pressure - pump off" ......the
switch contacts open and the pump turns off.

By turning off power at the breaker, you are killing the cycle until
the pressure fails again to the "turn - on" limit.

*It appears that the contacts are remaining closed.

Do you have a seperate "electrical control box" *on or near the pump
(motor)?

Unless the whole system is a single unit and the controls are not
separately serviceable you should be able to just fix or replace the
pressure switching part of it.

If pressure builds to "normal" operating pressure (& it seems like it
does since you topped off the air tank) *then the fault is most likely
in the switch.

cheers
Bob

Thanks Bob.

Looks like at least part of the problem is in the switch. I have it
working now and will replace the switch this weekend (or sooner if
problems crop back up)

Thanks, David