Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveBell[_2_] SteveBell[_2_] is offline

Default Painting Pressure Treated Lumber

On May 12, 4:43*pm, evodawg wrote:
How does Pressure Treated Lumber Paint? Does it hold primer. I'm
thinking about using it as trim pieces that need to be replaced
due to termite and dry rot damage. I'm a little worried about the
warp factor too.

Some lumber yards carry a treated pine (some lightweight, fast
growing, low strength species). It is shipped wet, but even when dried
out, the crap won't hold a paint finish or glue, based on my
experience. Haven't seen any KD versions of the stuff. probably
because it would warp dramatically in the oven. Treated Southern
yellow pine rules so far as being sturdy and paintable. Did some
basement stairs a while back, and painted with ordinary oil based
polyurethane porch and floor paint, no primer. Still looks just fine.

All the pressure treated wood I've used lately has been very wet. When
I built a deck last summer, every screw squeezed out a little puddle.
The data sheets from the manufacturer all have said to wait at least
three months before finishing. Others have recommended using a moisture
meter, and I agree.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement