Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 3-4" grinding wheels

wrote:
In article ,
wrote:

I do my drillbits with an angle grinder, they come up nicely. They

Hmm. How do you hold the angle grinder so that it doesn't shift?
I am not strong enough to hold even a drill motionless with a single
hand, so I put a foot on it.

I put it on its back and hold with one hand. I expect you could use a
foot, but I wouldnt be confident doing that. You might also use a
bench vise with a rubber wrap or an angle grinder stand.

The problem about all of these solutions
is the space needed for something I don't spend a lot of time doing;
angle grinders and bench vices are not small, and I very rarely need
them.

indeed

also drill wood far better due to changing the original angles, which
are good for steel but quite wrong for wood. A cutting disc is used to
get into the flutes, grinding discs being far too big.
http://www.wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index....e_twist_drills

Yes, but this can also be done with a simple grinding wheel or bench
grinder. You can also clean the flute by using the bit (that's an
ancient trick, predating angle grinders).

I dont see how either of those would get far eough into the flute to
grind away most of the solid centre section where it meets the tip.
Even a grinding disc in an angle grinder cant do that.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

NT