Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default CFLs....again

In ,
RickH wrote:
On May 10, 4:07*pm, (Don Klipstein) wrote:
In ,
RickH wrote in part:

I've never had a CFL last as long as they say they
do anyway, and returning them is more hassle than its worth. *I bought
9 expensive dimmable large PAR floods and all died within 8 mos, while
the old halogens next to them are going on 8 years, go figure. *Those
I did return and felt like I was being waterboarded for doing so. *The
new dimmable CFL's dont last very long at all from my experience, not
good if most of your wall switches are dimmers.

* Are you using the CFLs in small enclosed fixtures or recessed ceiling
fixtures? *Such fixtures build up heat, which CFLs do not like.

* Meanwhile, CFLs tend to last longer if:

Stuff that I already said

* If you are having recessed ceiling fixtures installed and they will be
using CFLs, things work better if the fixtures are ones with ballasts and
take ballastless CFLs that have pins rather than screw bases.

*- Don Klipstein )

Yes, standard 6 inch insulation contact rated cans with thermal switch
(which didn't overheat).

Is the thermal switch merely designed to prevent fire hazards and
overheating of the fixturer as a whole, while being insufficient to
prevent overheating of a screw-base integral-ballast CFL, since that
degree of thermal protection may cause a CFL to "take time off" for a
couple minutes a few times an hour, if the temperature threshold for the
thermal protection also disfavors use of incandescents producing same or
better illumination than the CFL does.

A CFL can fail to survive heat buildup in a recessed ceiling fixture
even if the temperature that kills the CFL is not a problem for the
fixture or an incandescent lightbulb. This CFL problem is less of a
problem if the recessed ceiling fixture has a ballast as part of being
designed for ballastless (which tend to be pin-base) CFLs.

- Don Klipstein )