Posted to alt.home.repair
stan stan is offline

Default CFLs....again

On May 7, 4:39*pm, "RJ" wrote:
I was reading a newspaper article comparing
prices at TARGET and WalMart stores.

They cited GE brand CFL's.
Though packaged identically,
the TARGET bulbs are waranteed for 10,000 hours,
while the WalMart units are waranteed for 6,000 hours.

I haven't gone to my TARGET to check it out,
but it would be interesting.

Is that not the same as buying, say, a car battery?????
Brand X is, say, cheapest at say $50. Only warranty is 30 days and you
have to fight the retailer to get that!
Brand Y is, say more expensive at $80 and has a 3 year graduated
warranty based on remaining life.
Brand Z is say, most expensive at $100. But has a 5 year unlimited
warranty; if anything at all goes wrong they will replace it without
question for the remainder of the original five years.
Brand W cost $120 and they will replace it for another full five years
if it fails for any reason during the full five years! They may insist
that you have 'A charging sytem check-up' at your cost of $20!!!!
Which mainly involves testing the charging voltage of your alternator!
If certain batteries encounter problems in a particular zone/area
let's say, Alaska, due to low temperatures or Florida due to high
temperatures the supplier 'modifies' the warranty conditions for that
zone only!
Same battery in each case? But supplier covers their costs against
likelihood of failure or replacement?