Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Paul Hovnanian P.E. Paul Hovnanian P.E. is offline

Default Sweat soldering ball valve

Mawdeeb wrote:

Pilgrim wrote:
What do I need to know and what precautions do i need to take to sweat
solder a 1/4 turn ball valve in 3/4" Cu pipe? The ball turns in a
plastic seat that looks like teflon.

Thanks in advance.

Chuck P.

Check with your local plumbing supplier for a brand called ez-sweat by
Watts . These are multi-piece units. The ends screw-off and inside are
copper pieces that look like top-hat bushings. Sweat those on, and
re-assemble and the heat never touches the ball assembly.

I found mine at the box stores initially then ordered them from a real
plumbing supply house when supply got spotty.

Or just use ball valves with threaded fittings. Sweat threaded adapters on
to the existing plumbing, let them cool then screw on the valve.

In order to tighten both fittings on the valve, leave the last sweated joint
a few feet away from the valve until its all tightened up so you have
someplace to turn the fittings. Or use a union.

--
Paul Hovnanian
Have gnu, will travel.