Posted to sci.electronics.repair,comp.sys.mac.portables,comp.sys.laptops
Andy Cuffe Andy Cuffe is offline

Default Cause of lines in TFT display?

On Thu, 07 May 2009 22:31:55 +1000, Bob Larter
wrote:

Yep. If it were me, I'd either look for a dead laptop of the same type
with a good screen, or toss it & upgrade to a new laptop. It may be
possible to find a refurb panel, but it's probably not worth the hassle.

Over the last few years, LCDs have finally started to become somewhat
standardized. I've been able to substitute different makes and models
of laptop LCDs fairly indiscriminately. Even different resolution
LCDs are usually interchangeable (except for IBMs which require
replacing, or modifying the video cable).

The thickness, and screw hole locations are fairly standardized. The
electrical signals are also usually the same, but there are a few
different types of connectors in use. Also, the location of the
connector can vary.

I've found that 9 times out of 10, if the physical dimensions of the
LCD, and video connectors are the same, the sub will work fine. I'm
currently using an IBM with a screen that came from a Dell. The new
screen is a Samsung, and I think the old one was an LG.
Andy Cuffe