Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default A 1-year update

On Mon, 11 May 2009 01:30:21 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

On Sun, 10 May 2009 22:31:45 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

They either go outside for five minutes, or they go outside and stay
out permanently - simple choice.

-- Bruce --

Easy to say, nearly impossible to enforce.

Enforce? You can't enforce because you can't whup them, won't shoot
them and ken no other modes of motivation or leadership? What about
respect? You're in So Cal, not quite UP midwinter. How hard is it
for them to step out for a smoke? Who's in charge of your quarters?

Very good question. Obviously Im not in charge. I did try to enforce it
for a week. Got so much backflap I simply gave up and try to stay away
from them.

Beyond that, their choices need not be yours. I was quite comfy
around smokers a month after my last butt. I enjoyed it. Since then,
my favorite smokers (my two adjacent neighbors, both shooters) have
quit, who knows why. Bummer, no more second-hand smoke for me.

Shrug..I ALWAYs enjoyed smoking. Shrug. Each time I quit..once for 6
months..I still wanted a cig whenever I encountered one burning. Ive
been smoking since I was 14...45 yrs.

So all I can do is avoid smokers until the desire goes away.

The kids are moving out first of next month..the ex plans on quitting
when they leave..so with luck..all temptation goes away.

Oddly enough..its the only addiction Ive ever had. I dont care to drink,
do any sort of drugs etc etc, but its one thats well drilled into me.

So I smoke 6-10 a day..mostly 6-8..and keep on getting stronger each day
as I recover from the surgery and the stroke. Not what Id planned in
the slightest..but its the horse Im hooked to.

Ive had the best luck with hypnosis, thats what go me free of them for 6
months. I needed a follow up, but foolishly didnt go for one. If I have
to..Ill spend the money and get hypnotized again. And get the follow
up...get as many as needed.

Gunner

"Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with
minimum food or water,in austere conditions, day and night. The only thing
clean on him is his weapon. He doesn't worry about what workout to do---
his rucksack weighs what it weighs, and he runs until the enemy stops chasing him.
The True Believer doesn't care 'how hard it is'; he knows he either wins or he dies.
He doesn't go home at 1700; he is home. He knows only the 'Cause.' Now, who wants to quit?"

NCOIC of the Special Forces Assessment and Selection Course in a welcome speech to new SF candidates