Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default I like to buy a tool post stud for my 9x20 Grizzly G4000

Yep, stick around and you're guaranteed to pick up some very useful
information.

I'm a retread as far as machining goes, like yourself Peter. I had training
in high shool, then didn't use lathes or similar metalworking machines for
many years, then was asked to set up and operate a small machine shop where
I was employed.
The lathe that the company bought was a 9x20.
I managed to machine a lot of good parts to build some machines I designed,
despite the limitations of the 9x20 lathe (including some milling with an
adapted angle plate).

A dozen or so years went by after that job, and I decided to buy a lathe for
myself.. and since the 9x20 was low priced, somewhat portable and I was
already familiar with it, I bought one for my basement home shop.

I don't know if you had a look at the 9x20 lathe pages at the kwagmire site
linked below, but there is an example of the 4-bolt compound clamping plate
shown there, which can be machined with the 9x20 lathe (except for the
undercut areas around the mounting holes, but removing more of the thickness
of the plate solves that).

Because the 9x20 has been a relatively popular model, there are lots of
ideas concerning improvements by guys that are a lot more talented than
myself, that have made their ideas readily available online.

Safety first, all the rest is educational.

--
WB
metalworking projects

"PeterM" wrote in message
Many thanks for this generous information. I think my initial thought was
also to just keep the turret tool post, and buy the 4-bolt clamping plate.
I saw it advertized on EBay for 43.- I wish I could get it for less, but
I'm sure the quality will be less as well. I could also have the guts and
try to make some of the items I need, and see what happens, I really don't
have anything to lose. I learned all this a long time ago, but am afraid
to start practicing again. Maybe by reading here more of your kind reply
to us old beginners, I will become more daring...My best to all of you
fine gentlemen that answered me....Peter